Track day (Theoretical)

Tony

Not so keen on them myself :)

'Lynch him' :D ..... no one has to agree we all have likes/dislikes.. but i must say they are fun to set-up.... unless jon is the driver :) He is so against the normal grain for fast track :blink:

• 3 weeks later...

Just to be anal the stock sw20 had 7jj rears and 205/55 fronts :)

......Ok 7J 225/50-15 rear then :lol: ..... Now imagine the scenario..... Including you jon :D

Bump

Niceties over, suspension and tyre size concluded shall we continue?

I desire high speed country road security, some track days and i'm not overly concerned with tyre wear. The stock Geometry positions are....

Front

Camber: -50'

Castor: + 2d 45'

KPI/SJI: 13d 30'

Toe: +5' total

Rear

Camber: -1d 25'

Toe: +30' total

I am considering up-rated sways and adjustable dampers into the theoretical package as well. Your thoughts please........

Not that looks a lot like my first setup, way too much arse for fast road, needs to be smooth track to work.

Indeed that is your first set-up (from memory) What is evident here jon is the ability to read the figures and translate them into actual real forces..... Instantly you recognized the instability from some numbers displayed on the screen.... Now we are talking Geometry! ..... Manipulate them to suit the requests desired from the theoretical owner of this thread?

Apart from I had +ve toe at the front.

Go on then, my input would be something along the lines of

Front

Camber: -1d

Toe: +5mm total

Rear

Toe: +4mm total

Apart from I had +ve toe at the front.

Go on then, my input would be something along the lines of

Front

Camber: -1d

Toe: +5mm total

Rear

Toe: +4mm total

That's good jon, not to far detached from stock though.... Remember the Castor trail is quite low so we are depending on the KPI to aid high speed directional control..... Also i want slightly more than stock over-steer.

Does that mean you want more oversteer? Surely that setup would give a little more rear than stock...

Castor / KPI is non adjustable on these cars.

Yes it would give slightly more over-steer..... I want more B) It is possible to displace the KPI/Castor indirectly B) This is done by the movement of the Camber, this displaces the Toe and this when corrected pivots the wheel and changes the Castor.... On the IS200 i regularly re-position the fixed Castor and bring this into UK spec. Admittedly these changes dependon the location of the adjusters, movement on the leg is much lower than movement at the wishbone.

Personally, knowing 2's, you don't want anymore rear for the road! Don't forget where the engine is and the rather narrow rear tyre considering the balance / power. When these things snap they turn around faster than you can imagine on a dusty road, i've almost lost it more times than i care to talk about over bumps / gravel.

On track is slightly easier as you've a predictable surface and high grip tarmac.

Personally, knowing 2's, you don't want anymore rear for the road! Don't forget where the engine is and the rather narrow rear tyre considering the balance / power. When these things snap they turn around faster than you can imagine on a dusty road, i've almost lost it more times than i care to talk about over bumps / gravel.

On track is slightly easier as you've a predictable surface and high grip tarmac.

Ok lets make this theoretical example a novice owners track day set-up, dry weather days only.

Perhaps something a long the lines of my current setup with a little more rear camber and +ve front toe.

She seems a little less snappy on the road at the moment, can't wait to get on track.

Perhaps something a long the lines of my current setup with a little more rear camber and +ve front toe.

She seems a little less snappy on the road at the moment, can't wait to get on track.

I keenly await your feedback with your currant set-up... Although we both agree the front Toe needs correcting.

Every trackday i want to do is on next week (there's 4 to choose from) and i happen to be in spain.

Rats.

Next event looks like rockingham at the end of the month.

Mucho pictures and feed back required jon...... Oh and good luck at Rockingham :lol: