Should 'alignment' centres be 'certified'

Just wondering if there is or should be certification for centres which do alignment etc. So that the tester has to prove that he can do the job properly.

I only say this because prior to visiting our Guru, I had mine done twice (supposed laser alignment) at a local tyre centre.

1st visit - My car came out of the centre with its steering wheel crooked, meaning to drive in a straight line I had to hold the wheel as if I was turning a corner :lol: and the alignment feeling no better.

2nd visit - The 'boy' straightened up my wheel, did what seemed like loads of adjustments but driving away from the centre the car was all over the place !! :lol:

It is worrying that these centres are charging people but are obviously making things possibly worse than better. Also the trouble is unless you have it done by a competent person such as Tony, you will not necessarily know any different :lol:

What are your thoughts ? & Does anyone else have a total incompetence tale to tell ?

Janey your words hit the point exactly......let me add some wood to the fire...

The only point of contact the car has is through the tyres...... well we all know that... but the direction is subject to change (various reasons) these small changes are almost undetectable to the driver until the tyres show visible wear....... then it's off to 'crap fit' for correction...

When you ask 'why' are the tyres wearing 99% of the time the reply will be 'alignment'.......'WRONG'... £30 and 5000 miles later the problem re-appears, to late to lay blame at crap fit.... so off you go again trying to resolve the initial problem.... i have aggressive opinions about this conduct 'here' is why.....

1: The consequence of incorrect alignment could be 'fatal'...do it wrong then the customer could soon be down to the wire totally unaware..... see example

post-2-1143564369_thumb.jpg

2: Since any car has over 15 individual angles to the wheels, what right does any centre have to set the alignment without testing the positions of the rest?

3: This next one i love?....... if ever you are asked if you want the alignment tested ask them this.....'what are they aligning the wheels to?'...... then sit down.....light a fag.....have a coffee......read a book... and when the fitter has stopped 'dribbling' drive out!.... over his foot is allowed says (book of Bones) :blink:

Back to your initial post.... there is no minimum legal requirement for alignment.... any 'no brainer' can set your car.

• 2 years later...

Well two years later your concerns have been heard.

The NTDA (National Tyres Distributors Association) have drafted plans for a national qualification that's aiming to enforce regulation on this very topic.

Seemingly the tier system will cover Alignment basics to the full blown chassis dynamics with each field certified.

The current claim "we do alignment" will become redundant as will many pants companies who spoof the consumer...

Happy days methinks :rolleyes:

The NTDA (National Tyres Distributors Association) have drafted plans for a national qualification that's aiming to enforce regulation on this very topic.

Seemingly the tier system will cover Alignment basics to the full blown chassis dynamics with each field certified.

The current claim "we do alignment" will become redundant as will many pants companies who spoof the consumer...

Happy days methinks :)

...and not before time :) but who's going to audit/police it?? :rolleyes:

Happy days methinks :)

...and not before time :) but who's going to audit/police it?? :rolleyes:

A selected council, probably ones within the NTDA... I would love to add a voice but i have no authority.... Yet :)

what about liability? surely this would have always been a factor?

For the owner "proof" is the argument.... Most alignments are basic toe and this machine doesn't give a printout. So 5k later when the tyres are bald the shop would blame the owner.