To pre-load or not to pre-load

Tony

As some may know German cars need to have weights added to pre-load the suspension and the target data assumes this has been done.

What should you do if the cars been lowered? No doubt the coils have a different rate so the actual kg pre-load weight is redundant.

Would the added waight make much difference to ride hight etc on a lowered car as it would be a lot stiffer

Well that's the question.

Normally if the reason for lowering is looks (not track) then the owners concern is tyre wear, so the OEM positions are the best guide but "should" the weights be added?

Looks at this BMW guide

post-2-1220124648.jpg

I would say that the weights should still be added..only because its what the manufacturer says...but lowering the car and adding the weight would this not take it way out of the camber "target range "...and im guessing that there may not be enough adjustability to keep it in the target area.? :lol:

I would say that the weights should still be added..only because its what the manufacturer says...but lowering the car and adding the weight would this not take it way out of the camber "target range "...and im guessing that there may not be enough adjustability to keep it in the target area.? :lol:

Most times the aftermarket kits allow more than the OEM adjustment range.

Issues we have is lowering the car historically adds camber as does the weights but does the modified suspension need a pre-load since the coil rate is higher so it could already be in a "moment of compression" intended by adding weights to the OEM suspension?

When Zee germans add weight to there cars is it to represent the "total laiden weight of the car " i.e with a full complement of people..+ fuel...? how much has the car been lowered tony.?

When Zee germans add weight to there cars is it to represent the "total laiden weight of the car " i.e with a full complement of people..+ fuel...? how much has the car been lowered tony.?

The weight added is uniform so the cars sprung area is loaded evenly.... There's no logic in assuming this is to simulate human weight since most times there's only the driver in the car.

The actual lowered value is beside the point really since any amount violates OEM height, so i assume the parameters?

Problem i have is the weight requirement ads to an already theoretical field.

does the modified suspension need a pre-load since the coil rate is higher so it could already be in a "moment of compression" intended by adding weights to the OEM suspension?

If its allready in a moment of compression then in theory ...i dont think the car would need to have the weight added.....as you have said its allready compressed ? the same affect as adding weight.?

Think id be tempted to set it with the waight added.least you have covered your self if it is out after.but then offer the customer the reassurance he can bring it back and set it unlaidend

Agreed and that's why i don't add weight (you have learned well young Luke)

post-2-1220129748.jpg

Nevertheless not adding weight is by logic not design so in absolute terms i do not know if this is correct..... or not?

I've researched this online with no absolute answer so logic will have to do for now..... I must confess i haven't had any complaints "yet" but i definitely feel unhappy about this gray area.

Agreed and that's why i don't add weight (you have learned well young Luke)

post-2-1220129748.jpg

Nevertheless not adding weight is by logic not design so in absolute terms i do not know if this is correct..... or not?

I've researched this online with no absolute answer so logic will have to do for now..... I must confess i haven't had any complaints "yet" but i definitely feel unhappy about this gray area.

Cheers master Yoda of WIM.. :blush02: must say its a bit of a headscratcher :rolleyes:

Yoda of wim indeed :rolleyes:

I have checked the feilds in the Hunter and it does list "modified suspension" but this is to BMW's lowered suspension and there's no list of how much or what rate and it still wants weight added.

Thing is if it were a custom track set-up i wouldn't worry but domestic tyre preservation set-up's are a concern.