Brake Pads And Discs

Have posted this on LOC, but thought I might get useful info on here too so here goes.......... :thumbsup_anim:

My car's a 2002, and in 2005 I changed the front pads and discs, and now in 2008 it appears I need new front pads and discs again........

Are they supposed to last the same amount of time like that? I've done just over 40k miles I think, and seeing as both sets have lasted exactly 3 years and similar mileage it doesn't seem too weird, but just wanted to check as from other cars we tend to change the pads maybe twice before they need new discs..........

Also before I drop another £400 (or thereabouts) at Lexus for a new set of pads and discs, can I get the same quality for less money?

Everything changed when Asbestos was removed from the pads composition.

Nowadays there is much more metallic content to the pads so effectively they act like a file.... Simultaneous replacement of the discs and pads is the norm...

Cheers Tony, if that's the norm it's no problem, they've lasted 3 years which seems fine anyway.

I've had recommendations on LOC for Mintex pads and discs..........would you say they were better than the OEM stuff? Also can you fit if I got some off ebay and how much would that cost? (it's just the fronts that need doing)

Cheers Tony, if that's the norm it's no problem, they've lasted 3 years which seems fine anyway.

I've had recommendations on LOC for Mintex pads and discs..........would you say they were better than the OEM stuff? Also can you fit if I got some off ebay and how much would that cost? (it's just the fronts that need doing)

When i supply discs/pads i use Mintex pads and ADL discs..... Reason being this combination works so well i won't get a warranty claim... and that costs me.

As for fitting yours an hours labour at £65+ vat covers all.

When i supply discs/pads i use Mintex pads and ADL discs..... Reason being this combination works so well i won't get a warranty claim... and that costs me.

Ahh so you'd recommend ADL discs rather than Mintex? Will I get the same performance and wear rate as I've had with the OEM stuff? And how much would the pads and discs cost? (Didn't realise you'd supply as well, if there isn't a huge difference in cost I can get the whole lot from you :D )

my front discs didnt last 20000 miles :o

Have I got more or less out of them than I should have? I was thinking 20k was pushing on "not quite enough" but as mainly a town driver it seemed reasonable enough :)

my front discs didnt last 20000 miles :)

On what vehicle?.... Jason@wim's pads lasted a few thousand miles on his RS6

on the is200 :D

i think it was the nurburgring trip which did it :o

ADL blueprint are very good disc`s so ive heard from other people..ive got Mintex disc`s & pads they seem very good although not completly bed in yet...just ADL blueprint are as good as the OEM ones but at half the price.....id recomend Tony B @ WIM doing it he`s top bloke and knows his stuff when it comes to cars..

Ahh so you'd recommend ADL discs rather than Mintex? Will I get the same performance and wear rate as I've had with the OEM stuff? And how much would the pads and discs cost? (Didn't realise you'd supply as well, if there isn't a huge difference in cost I can get the whole lot from you :D )

my front discs didnt last 20000 miles :o

Have I got more or less out of them than I should have? I was thinking 20k was pushing on "not quite enough" but as mainly a town driver it seemed reasonable enough :)

PM me the cars index number and i will cost these for you :)

PM me the cars index number and i will cost these for you :D

Sorry to be an idiot but what's the index number? :o

My fault..... Registration number... Guess who uses American software all day long?...... Huuuum me!