Front outside tyre wear

Hi,

As a bit of background I have had my Eunos Roadster for just over a year and brought it to Tony when he was based at the tyre place in Watford about this time last year. He re-aligned everything (some of it was way out!) and since I got a set of F1 GSD3s on it it has been great.

But this post concerns my other car - it's an 1991 SAAB 900 T16S. It's been lowered slightly (how much is debateable!) and 16" wheels over the original 15"s are fitted.

I'm having a problem with bad tyre wear on the outside edges of the front tyres. At first I put it down to it being a heavy car / power steering / relatively big power through front wheels, but it's done it over 2 sets of tyres, even after an alignment by a Saab independant who should know what they're doing...

Anyway, wanted to ask for some advice, and was wondering just how adjustable the suspension is - I understand it's a bit awkward on these, with shims and stuff like that.

Also, with it having been lowered it won't correspond to any "book" settings, so will it be sortable with any degree of accuracy?

PS - I'm running on Toyo Proxes T1-Rs, tyre pressures about mid 30s.

Hello.... Again :unsure:

Tricky one.... I have the SAAB 900 1992> as front camber/ castor adjustable (no shims required)

Outside wear is not consistent with any lowering but is consistent with the castor arrangement Saab has on the 900.

As for the OEM positions.... "redundant!!".... Data for all cars modified or not borders theoretical and should be perceived as a "suggestion" by the manufacturer, there are to many variables to assume one set of figures covers all.

All i can say is the calibration positions for the modified car are unique to that particular car and need to be evolved... All reads "what the!" but in truth it is easy with the right tools ;)

Hi Tony!

The data you are looking at may be for the newer shape (GM) car, which is a very different car - based on a Cavalier cloorpan rather than the earlier Saab one. The changeover year was 94 though, 79-94 and then 94-98 for the later shape.

I see...

I know the arrangement you have now and yes it will need shims........ We have shims :unsure: but it's a git of a job to do.

Are you up for a challenge? :unsure:

Indeed ;) ..... It's just the sort of problem that keeps us awake.

Hehe, will give you a ring to book it in when I have a mo if that's ok!

Please do....

We run specific software for vehicles that need shims, as seen in this thread> http://www.wheels-inmotion.co.uk/forum/ind...ic=3061&hl=

• 2 months later...

Hi Tony,

Had more pressing things to deal with over the last couple of months but have just had a good look at the tyres. They're in need of replacement anyway, about 4mm over the centre of the tyres.

Here is the near side front - as you can see the outside edge is pretty badly worn, and the inner edge is showing some wear too. Classic underinflation pattern, but I keep them around 32-36 and they have never dropped below 30...

DSC_4260.jpg

DSC_4261.jpg

Looks pretty badly scrubbed to me too.

Here is the off side front:

DSC_4262.jpg

DSC_4263.jpg

Similar pattern but not as badly worn.

Rest assured I will be giving you a ring in the next month or so when I have a day off, and then getting some new tyres on there pronto.

Inner wear looks slightly more pronounced than outer to me.

Are you up for a challenge? ;)

Indeed :) ..... It's just the sort of problem that keeps us awake.

Hehe, will give you a ring to book it in when I have a mo if that's ok!

Please do....

We run specific software for vehicles that need shims, as seen in this thread> http://www.wheels-inmotion.co.uk/forum/ind...ic=3061&hl=

I was watching Hunter's OTJ training vids on shims recently. The part where it can demonstrate how the shim would affect readings ? Awesome.