Squeaky Suspension

Gary_R

My Mondeo ST220 has developed a rather annoying squeak which comes and goes as it pleases.

At first it was only going over big speed bumps that set it off, it then got louder and louder and started happening over normal road bumps.

After playing around it seems like its the nearside rear damper, there is no obvious damage / wear / leaks etc, drop links all in order etc.

Going over bumps, the squeak seems quite bad its loud enough for passers by to hear it. However road holding and ride comfort is not affected at all, the car is still stiff, and handles very well.

The noise has since calmed down, and after having friends sit in the back, it completely vanished when I drove home on my own. However the next morning, it returned, albeit much quieter and not too bad!

This time last year, my previous Mondeo did the exact same thing to me and had done almost indentical mileage (62k). I'm not worried about it needing a repair, I'm confident it doesn't; but I am confused as to what the noise is and where its coming from.

Car has just been serviced and they said it was fine,Nurburgring in 4 days, I hope the car doesn't s*** itself :D

Squeaks like this are notorious to find..... Most times it's a bushing that's worn or seized. My best advice is to check for ware then loosen any thru bolts to ensure these are not seized in the bushings inner metal core.

So I jacked the car up eariler, it made the same squeaking noise every time it was lifted.

I looked about and felt for loseness in the suspension and this was what I found.

The base of the springs appear to be sat in a rubber sleeve, but as the spring coils round the sleeve is just left hanging. I thought "aha" I've found it, however its exactly the same on the other side, which is as quiet as mouse.

I tried pushing up on the drop link and I got a squeak or two out of that, but its in one piece and the nuts seem solid as a rock.

rubber1.jpg

rubber2.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
When I had an annoying squeak Tony tracked it down to the ball joint on the lower arm ;)

Still no luck with this folks, I am none the wiser :D

To add further...the car handles and rides fine, but since going over a few speed bumps it has gotten really bad. Its super loud outside and passers by think my car is about to fall on its arse, quite literally!

When driving along it sounds like its coming from both sides and it now feels like a small vibration through the centre of the car, but when I push on the tail gate the squeak comes from the left hand wheel area. When jacking the car up from the rear left the damper made a horrible squealing sound :D

Thoughts please? I have spent so much on this car already I dont want to shell out for 2 new dampers and fitting just to cure a noise :/

P.S. Whats the rubber on the coil? :/

Cheers

If the noise is that prolific now then the car needs to be on a four poster and the suspension pulled/pushed to find the area that's causing the noise.

The rubber between the coil and the strut is a baffler to stop the coil vibration being transported.

The missus peugeot has been squeaking for a long time now and I finally found the culprit today; the front springs! They have lost all their covering so it's just rusty metal touching metal. I got loads of grease and smeared it around the coil that touches the shock and it's improved alot. I really need to remove the spring so I can coat the underneath as well.

The missus peugeot has been squeaking for a long time now and I finally found the culprit today; the front springs! They have lost all their covering so it's just rusty metal touching metal. I got loads of grease and smeared it around the coil that touches the shock and it's improved alot. I really need to remove the spring so I can coat the underneath as well.

Interesting! A passenger of mine did say it sounded like rusty metal, were as I said it said sounded like rubber. I'll WD-40 everything! :D

Interesting! A passenger of mine did say it sounded like rusty metal, were as I said it said sounded like rubber. I'll WD-40 everything! ;)

Got nothing to loose but like Daz said you're better off with a spray grease :D

Hi folks,

took the car into a garage today and they put it up on the ramps. Apparently everything is in order and I was not charged, however I can't help but think the squeaking is now turning into a banging.

I will take the wheel off again and have another look, as well as lube everything with some silicone grease. It is starting to annoy me now :lol:

Update

When jacking the car up it made an awful squeak.

I took the wheel off and checked everything that I could see! All the bolts were on tight with no give.

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

The only thing that I could see to be slightly out of place was the washer on this polybush.

4.jpg

Put the wheel back on and lowered the car, it was as quiet as a mouse. However after pushing down on a tail gate it was clear the squeak was still there.

Here is a short video, 4mb!

http://robster-lobster.co.uk/squeak/video.wmv

Some good news! Just been out in the car to drop a friend off, over some big bumps and bad roads and the squeakness has been greatly reduced. Not perfect, but much better and much more bearable :D

So I'm happy! Will just re-grease them every week or so, thanks for your input everyone :D

Some good news! Just been out in the car to drop a friend off, over some big bumps and bad roads and the squeakness has been greatly reduced. Not perfect, but much better and much more bearable :D

So I'm happy! Will just re-grease them every week or so, thanks for your input everyone :D

Poly's are high maintenance unfortunately...... at least you are on the right track now.

Can't see it being the poly bushes to be honest, as the sound would be replicated on the opposite side of the car. I think its where the lower arms (correct name?) meet at the hub.

Does the bolt through the bushing turn freely?

Can't see it being the poly bushes to be honest, as the sound would be replicated on the opposite side of the car. I think its where the lower arms (correct name?) meet at the hub.

Does the bolt through the bushing turn freely?

I'm not sure to be honest - should it do? I think I would have picked up on it if it did.