Vibration problem? Balance or something else?

Update:

First of all big thankyou to Tony. I spoke to him on Friday afternoon, and he was exceptionally helpful. Talked with me through the issues and gave me the confidence to drive the 300+ miles to see my family.

I can't thank him enough, as he had no obligation to help but did. ;)

Well driving 300 miles gave me a much better insight into the car's problems (it's the missus' car usually). :D I had described the issue as speed related, but in fact it's more acceleration related. If I put my foot down I can feel the vibration through the car, the wheel etc. However if I accelerate really slowly it's barely noticeable. I think the 40-50-60 feel I had described earlier has much to do with the fact that I accelerate most through those speeds, or I at least apply the throttle a bit harder at those speeds.

Once at say 70 the vibration is subtle, and I don't really notice it below 30.

That got me thinking and so I jacked the car up yesterday and had a good look again.

The spring is definitely "wonky" but I wonder if its the seat at the bottom on the strut that's not quite "straight" and is forcing the spring over. Imagine pushing up on one side on any spring and it will bend? So maybe changing the spring will not change the way it sits around the strut.

I spun the offside wheel and had a look at the Inner CV joing and halfshaft, and there is definitely some movement, and noise coming from the CV joint. Tony had suggested turning full lock and listening to any noise, but I hadn't heard anything whilst doing this, but I could hear it when I had the car jacked. The halfshaft(?) also definitely wasn't turning in the "same" position. So my conclusion is I've got a dodgy CV joint, and possibly a bent driveshaft, but won't know about the driveshaft I guess until until the CV joint is replaced.

The spring therefore may be a red herring?. What I don't really understand is why I wasn't suffering the vibration until the spring was changed.

(I admit there was probaly a little vibration that occurred at about 75, but it was fairly minor, and I had put it down to minor wheel imbalance.)

The conclusion is that something that occurred during the spring change could have damaged the CV joint? But I am not sure that that's that likely? What do you think? (I don't want to give the garage a hard time unneccessarily, but I still have that nag, that we didn't have the problem until they changed the spring). :D

Does anyone have any ideas, as to cost to replace inner CV and driveshaft on offside of a Mk iii mondeo?

Again, thanks all for the help.