Nitrogen filled tyres

scorps

Do i still have to check pressures every so often or never?

As/when they are checked and you insert the nozzle on the tyre you must lose a bit so if your topping up over a period of time the wheel will lose all the nitrogen that was in there in the first place....or am i wrong!!

To be professional i have to say check them weekly...... But in the Nitrogen world every two or more weeks is realistic.

You are correct about the minor lose when testing but it's such a small amount it would take months to be a worry.

To be professional i have to say check them weekly...... But in the Nitrogen world every two or more weeks is realistic.

You are correct about the minor lose when testing but it's such a small amount it would take months to be a worry.

A weekly check isn't just about normal migration, it's also about recognising when something has gone wrong (e.g. a slow puncture or a leaking valve).

I keep repeating that for the everyday motorist, tyre inflation pressure is not an exact science. For example, changes in ambient temperature make a significant difference to the "cold" tyre pressure.

Research on reasons for tyre failure repeatedly shows under-inflation as a primary cause and the main reason for under-inflation is failure to check tyre pressure regularly and frequently.

Here is an extract from an RAC report:

"Tyre inflation pressures are no exception. In 2005 research carried out by the RAC Foundation found that as many as 7% of drivers checked their tyre pressures only once a year, whilst roadside checks by the Tyre Industry Council (now operating as TyreSafe) have consistently found a high proportion of tyres on the road to be incorrectly inflated.

The same report by the RAC Foundation also points out that 6% of all fatal motorway accidents are caused as a result of blowouts caused by under-inflated tyres".