Horror of the week 2-2-08

Tony

Car went on the second machine straight after the first, with a short drive between. The Geometrically disparity may have been caused by the machine giving incorrect readings . First report the final setting the camber is set equal but the NSF/OSF are not.The second report done soon after shows at initial, camber uneven as well as caster.

Is this correct -- The first report degrees broken into minutes and the second degrees broken into tenths. So to calculate camber rear at 55 minutes I would divide it by 6 to get tenths 0.916 degrees or camber front -0.12' = -0.166 degrees

I'm going to check today how they measure TOOT

No the math is wrong, not that it really matters on the rear but it would convert from -55' decimal to around -90' decimal degrees.

Whatever the real concern is the Toot.... Be sure to establish if this measurement is taken at 10 or 20 degrees.... I would prefer 20 degrees since this is a global standard :unsure:

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Car went on the second machine straight after the first, with a short drive between. The Geometrically disparity may have been caused by the machine giving incorrect readings . First report the final setting the camber is set equal but the NSF/OSF are not.The second report done soon after shows at initial, camber uneven as well as caster.

Is this correct -- The first report degrees broken into minutes and the second degrees broken into tenths. So to calculate camber rear at 55 minutes I would divide it by 6 to get tenths 0.916 degrees or camber front -0.12' = -0.166 degrees

I'm going to check today how they measure TOOT

No the math is wrong, not that it really matters on the rear but it would convert from -55' decimal to around -90' decimal degrees.

Whatever the real concern is the Toot.... Be sure to establish if this measurement is taken at 10 or 20 degrees.... I would prefer 20 degrees since this is a global standard :crying_anim:

With the math I should only go to two decimal places so camber rear at 55 minutes negative I would divide it by 6 to get tenths 0.91 degrees negative or camber front -0.12' = -0.16 degrees

I have had advice to check/replace the radius arm bushes ,don't know if this is what you would call it but its the lower arm going up to the firewall maybe the "track rod end" as in your explanation of toot with diagram , as I have been told these are made of poor material and can flog out easily.

OE parts are a stupid price as you have to buy whole arm do you sell a replacement bush for these as with shipping (mail) you will probably still be cheaper

The toot was measured at 20 degrees as listed in the second list left 1.71 degrees right 1.48 degrees

I talked to Craig who did the second test and he is unsure how to change the toot he thought it was done by adjusting the Toe is this correct

Craig is very passionate about this as he has a Altezza which has the same problem hence the bush replacement suggestion.

The TOOT should be more or less the same, so the NSF has to much. The angle is fixed so if found to be wrong the reason could be....

1: Bent hub (where the track rod end attaches)

2: Bent track rod end

3: Bent steering arm (or outer tie rod) terminology differs

4: Steering rack off-line