Tyre Wear

Rich

I had new toyo's fitted last June when I bought me new wheels. The fronts now only have around 1.5mm on the edges and 2.5mm in the middle...I've only done 4500K miles on them! :)

Yes I know toyo's are a soft compound and my car is heavier being a diesel but I've had this with all the tyres on the mondeo, even budgets with a harder compound :)

So I'm just wondering how miles do you get out of your tyres and on what cars?

i was thinking about this subject myself.

i have just had all my tyre treads measured at the annual service, and i have got the receipts with dates and mileages the tyres were changed. rather than guess, i will have a look when i get home tonight.

cheers.

I have done over 9000 miles on Dunlop Sport Maxx and there is 5mm of tread all round still remaining. I am pleased at how evenly they have worn, both across each wheel and from wheel to wheel.

I think there may be slightly less wear on the fronts, but it is only a fraction of a millimetre.

How heavy is the Lexus? Think my mondeo is 1500kg :)

The rears always wear slowly, still have about 4-5mm left but the front will need changing before I've even had them a year I reckon! :)

But the Mondeo is front-wheel-drive isn't it? If steering and traction are through the same pair of tyres, it is not surprising that they wear out more quickly.

My first fwd car was an Austin 1100 (a company car) back in the early 60's. I remember the shock when it went through front wheel tyres in about 11,000 miles. The rears lasted three times as long.

The Lexus advertising claims 2055kg as the weight of the IS 250 Auto.

That's a good point actually, but then I don't think I've ever seen over 7K miles out of the front tyres!

I'm wondering if it could be related to the common lower arm problems that the mondeo suffers? :)

ok, here's mine:

1998 mondeo 2.0 ghia x.

tyre size: 195/60/15.

FRONTS:

dunlop sp sport fast response

7 months old

6,000 miles

5mm tread left

REARS:

dunlop sp sport 01

18 months old

14,000 miles

5mm tread left

how much tread is on a new tyre, 8mm?

hopefully, i will get about 10,000 miles from the fronts, and 25,000 miles from the rears. is this good, bad or average?

regards.

I also found the Toyo's wore very quickly so bought goodyears last time and as well as providing alot better grip( especially in the wet) they're actually wearing less so i don't think i'll ever buy Toyo's again....