Tyre damage: fixable?

DJ_AS

Afternoon all,

A couple of weeks ago I was unfortunate/stupid enough to knock a chunk out of my tyre's sidewall and damaged an alloy to boot. Not a good evening that.

Anyways, here are some pics of the damage to the sidewall of the (pretty new ;)) tyre...

tyre%20damage_a.jpg

tyre%20damage_b.jpg

The chunk is about 1.5-2cms across and not very deep (looks worse in the photos). The tyre has kept pressure fine for two weeks despite being driven on some particularly s***e road surfaces.

So - is the damage:

1) cosmetic :)

2) repairable ;)

3) tyre to be replaced :)

My betting is that its (3) but I'm hoping not cos I'm a bit skint. Who'd have thought weddings would be so damn expensive...

Purely cosmetic :lol: You have removed part of the tyre rim protector... No cords are exposed and you don't have a bulge so the internal structure is ok.... Agreed it looks horrible but in truth the tyre has done as designed since that area is sacrificial.

Purely cosmetic :) You have removed part of the tyre rim protector... No cords are exposed and you don't have a bulge so the internal structure is ok.... Agreed it looks horrible but in truth the tyre has done as designed since that area is sacrificial.

Hurrah! :)

Cheers Tony, thats good to know. I'll sleep easy tonight...

:lol:

Purely cosmetic :) You have removed part of the tyre rim protector... No cords are exposed and you don't have a bulge so the internal structure is ok.... Agreed it looks horrible but in truth the tyre has done as designed since that area is sacrificial.

Hurrah! :)

Cheers Tony, thats good to know. I'll sleep easy tonight...

:lol:

I'll send the lucky fairy to tuck you in :)

When I spotted a nail in one of my tyres a few years ago I went to the local tyre place to get it checked. They pulled it out, put some water over the hole to check for bubbles, there weren't any so said it was fine. I'm assumed it would be and never had any problems with it.

That question as got me thinking though, maybe they should fill the hole anyway just to be on the safe side.