I want new wheels

TarkMalbot

I have the 16" 5 spokes on my car but Mazda wanted £800+ to upgrade to the 17"s so I didn't bother. I would rather keep the standard wheels as spares and treat myself to an aftermarket set of 17"s.

I have seen a lot of wheels for about the £500 mark. I know these are crap tyres so I would upgrade these to better ones but as far as the wheels go what should I get? I have seen some Wolfrace and BSA wheels that I like the look of. What is the weight difference going to be between the Mazda 17"s and these aftermarket ones?

Also does anyone know what manufactures make wheels that are available for my car. 5 stud, 114 Pitch and ET 55 (I think). How much can I change the ET withouth changing the handling or geometry too much?

Thanks,

Mark.

I have the 16" 5 spokes on my car but Mazda wanted £800+ to upgrade to the 17"s so I didn't bother. I would rather keep the standard wheels as spares and treat myself to an aftermarket set of 17"s.

I have seen a lot of wheels for about the £500 mark. I know these are crap tyres so I would upgrade these to better ones but as far as the wheels go what should I get? I have seen some Wolfrace and BSA wheels that I like the look of. What is the weight difference going to be between the Mazda 17"s and these aftermarket ones?

Also does anyone know what manufactures make wheels that are available for my car. 5 stud, 114 Pitch and ET 55 (I think). How much can I change the ET withouth changing the handling or geometry too much?

Thanks,

Mark.

I think the actual weight values will be privileged information offered by the seller.... Most times the AM wheels are lighter...

Assuming you keep the off-set +- 5mm i cannot see a problem.... In truth the initial off-set values are more to do with (will the wheels fit) than Geometry.

• 1 month later...

I have just ordered a set of MOMO Corse. These are said to be light weight at 8Kg each but that doesn't mean much to me when I have no idea of how much a normal wheel weights? They will come fitted with Toyo Proxes TS-1. Will this set up be lighter than the Mazda wheels with Yoko tyres?

Glad you like it. It's been getting all my attention recently! That's lowering springs, exhaust, air intake, fog lights, side repeaters, short ariel and now wheels and tyres. I think its finished for now anyway! Maybe a Geometry setup one day when I'm passing your spot!

Blimey... Without the Geometry your missing the real deal!!!

Long story but the place I got them from sent the wrong wheels at first and then no locking wheel nuts. I dont rate them anyway as I have got locking wheel nuts off before without the tool and have sent my car to the garage plenty of times without giving them the key and they managed.. If someone wants the wheels they will have them locking wheel nuts or not.

Long story but the place I got them from sent the wrong wheels at first and then no locking wheel nuts. I dont rate them anyway as I have got locking wheel nuts off before without the tool and have sent my car to the garage plenty of times without giving them the key and they managed.. If someone wants the wheels they will have them locking wheel nuts or not.

I know what you mean but leaving the front door open invites a burglar :)