Steering twitchy over manhole covers

hi chaps,

hope you are keeping well.

1998 Mondeo 2.0.

if i drive over a manhole cover (or drain cover) while accelerating, the steering seems to go all "twitchy" and i have to fight to keep the car straight. it almost feels like the front wheel is losing grip and you can sense the wheel slipping and the engine revs rising a bit. its quite disconcerting at speed, and something ive never really noticed before in any other car ive owned. ive got 4 new tyres and had the alignment done recently, but the problem existed before this and afterwards.

is there an explanation for this phenomenon?

thanks.

hi chaps,

hope you are keeping well.

1998 Mondeo 2.0.

if i drive over a manhole cover (or drain cover) while accelerating, the steering seems to go all "twitchy" and i have to fight to keep the car straight. it almost feels like the front wheel is losing grip and you can sense the wheel slipping and the engine revs rising a bit. its quite disconcerting at speed, and something ive never really noticed before in any other car ive owned. ive got 4 new tyres and had the alignment done recently, but the problem existed before this and afterwards.

is there an explanation for this phenomenon?

thanks.

them manhole covers have no grip

it probably is the tyre loosing grip

i'm just surprised ive never noticed it before. maybe i used to drive around the manholes, and now i've just got lazy.

thanks.

Just to add doubt to the thread... A negative toe position will dramatically amplify the problem.....How dependable was the Alignment you had done?

if you have a magnifying glass, you could have a look at the alignment report:

http://mysite.orange.co.uk/toffeeandfudge/.../2-picture3.jpg

if this isnt a reputable garage, then i'd like to know what is. :D

cheers.

The report is very good..... I would tick them as "reputable" :D ..........In fact they should be put in a frame since very few work to the 10th/mm rule.

You should try hitting them on a m/bike.........= wake up time. :D

you should try hitting a snow drift across the autobahn whilst overtaking a juggernaut at 120 .......does more than wake you up :D

Pah......thats easy on 4 wheels.

Even better with sixteen wheels :D

Have you ever been in a lorry doing 80+ its scary to say the least, i like speed but not in a 20 ton box.

Recently i have suffered several lateral G's thanks to jon..... Scared skit-less by Maneesh who wanted to prove "roundabouts" revolve around his GS, and i have experienced Wozza's SC IS200's ability to wobble my cheeks (face+arse)....

Nevertheless i fear a 20 ton hindrance from behind would take precedence.....

I've had the thing lift off all wheels one side in gale force winds across the moors, explain that to the transport depot.

Er.... you need to order a door mirror

Why did you get a bit close to something?

Er no........the lorry fell on it. ;)

I've had the thing lift off all wheels one side in gale force winds across the moors, explain that to the transport depot.

Er.... you need to order a door mirror

Why did you get a bit close to something?

Er no........the lorry fell on it. :)

What are you like ;)