which clutch ?

w481ggc

what sort of clutch should i fit to my lexus is200 which can cope with about 400bhp and give me a good feel and not to brutal so as not to spill my coffee when pulling away , but can also do plenty of fast starts , i dont mind changing clutches every year or so for a smooth operation ?

Its the torque that will "kill" the clutch.

Exedy give torque ratings for their clutches. They make the clutches that HKS/TRD etc use.

You need to establish the likely figure for that first IMHO you should have a figure for the car in its current stage of tune to use as a base line

IMHO you should have a figure for the car in its current stage of tune to use as a base line

That doesn't appear to be correct, unless I have misunderstood something.

Please explain in detail why you think a base line torque figure is needed for the engine in it's current form.

Dave has clearly asked which clutch fulfills specific requirements for his next upgrade, so your sugestion appears to have no value.

Thanks in advance.

IMHO you should have a figure for the car in its current stage of tune to use as a base line

Please explain in detail why you think a base line torque figure is needed for the engine in it's current form.

Dave has clearly asked which clutch fulfills specific requirements for his next upgrade, so your sugestion appears to have no value.

Thanks in advance.

Did i say/ask for this figure to be published ?

I was giving advice with no ulterior motive.

If Dave can be told by TDi what torque the engine is putting out at its current level of tuning he can at least make enquiries with a base level. He can go to exedy/Helix/AN Other and say my car produces X lb foot of torque I'm looking for an extra X lb foot of torque can you assist.

Personally I'd have thought he would already have this data to hand or at least a rough idea.

At the very least I mentioned torque not BHP as being the main thing you need to look at when getting a clutch.

Thanks in advance.

If Dave can be told by TDi what torque the engine is putting out at its current level of tuning he can at least make enquiries with a base level. He can go to exedy/Helix/AN Other and say my car produces X lb foot of torque I'm looking for an extra X lb foot of torque can you assist.

I have to say that I have dealing with high performance clutch manufacturers for approximately 25 years. I have never known any manufacturer to be interested in the torque of the standard engine. It would be like getting a quote for new carpets for house you don't live in anymore :lol:

The only consideration is the torque of the intended application.

Thanks in advance.

I have to say that I have dealing with high performance clutch manufacturers for approximately 25 years. I have never known any manufacturer to be interested in the torque of the standard engine. It would be like getting a quote for new carpets for house you don't live in anymore :D

The only consideration is the torque of the intended application.

The engine is far from standard....... I believe producing a claimed 300 bhp (what dave says in his LOC signature) thats nearly double the standard cars engine. To have made that claim its not unreasonable to have thought that some form of dyno run would have been made which would have also given a torque figure. I did not ask for it (dyno chart) to be made available to me/ AN Other... The point I was trying, in all innocence, to make to dave was in making enquiries about what clutch he needed it was the torque figure that governed the best clutch not the final bhp figure.

@ Dave --- I'd steer clear of the IS200 gearbox as at that level of power I'm told by my contacts @ TRD/TOM's in japan its on the edge. Supra 6 speed would the just the job....getting a suitable bellhousing may be difficult although knowing Toyota's interchangability it may just bolt on to the IS2's bellhousing

The point I was trying, in all innocence, to make to dave was in making enquiries about what clutch he needed it was the torque figure that governed the best clutch not the final bhp figure.

Perhaps that is what you should have said then because what you did actually say was factually incorrect.

@ Dave --- I'd steer clear of the IS200 gearbox as at that level of power I'm told by my contacts @ TRD/TOM's in japan its on the edge. Supra 6 speed would the just the job....getting a suitable bellhousing may be difficult although knowing Toyota's interchangability it may just bolt on to the IS2's bellhousing.

Another interesting statement which I'd like to question you on if I may please?

Considering that it has already been established that it is the torque rather than the power that clutch handling capacities are rated at, you are now stating that the transmission will be on the edge of it's power tolerance. Please explain that in detail for me in a way that I will be easily able to understand.

Thanks in advance.

Exedy give torque ratings for their clutches. They make the clutches that HKS/TRD etc use.

You need to establish the likely figure for that first IMHO you should have a figure for the car in its current stage of tune to use as a base line

Thats what I said............whats wrong with that ?

The point I was trying, in all innocence, to make to dave was in making enquiries about what clutch he needed it was the torque figure that governed the best clutch not the final bhp figure.

Perhaps that is what you should have said then because what you did actually say was factually incorrect.

@ Dave --- I'd steer clear of the IS200 gearbox as at that level of power I'm told by my contacts @ TRD/TOM's in japan its on the edge. Supra 6 speed would the just the job....getting a suitable bellhousing may be difficult although knowing Toyota's interchangability it may just bolt on to the IS2's bellhousing.

Another interesting statement which I'd like to question you on if I may please?

Considering that it has already been established that it is the torque rather than the power that clutch handling capacities are rated at, you are now stating that the transmission will be on the edge of it's power tolerance. Please explain that in detail for me in a way that I will be easily able to understand.

Thanks in advance.

I meant to add torque to that statement but forgot for which I humbly apologise.

I take it that Dave is not having the IS200 gearbox fitted then ? Sensible choice and one I'm sure one that a leading tuning company such as yours would have guided the customer towards.

Thats what I said............whats wrong with that ?

Please read my previous posts for the answer, but to put it simply for you:

You do not need to establish the original torque as a base line (please refer to my analogy of new carpet in a previous house). You only need to know the torque after the engine upgrade which the new clutch is expected to cope with.

Thanks in advance.

I meant to add torque to that statement but forgot for which I humbly apologise.

I take it that Dave is not having the IS200 gearbox fitted then ? Sensible choice and one I'm sure one that a leading tuning company such as yours would have guided the customer towards.

I am not sure whether Dave would like to me reveal his express perferences so please PM him if you are interested.

Thank you