Need help getting this bolt back in!

I dismantled the EGR valve on the Lexus to clean it. It was all gunked up and sticking, a common problem and I've been putting it off. I knew it was a pig of a job but I eventually got it off leaving the cooler part in place.

The problem I've got is I can't get one of the bolts back in. To remove it I had to separate the top and bottom parts of the valve, it sits on a long bar at one end and the cooler end has 2 studs that goes in to a pipe at the back of the engine.

A pipe that in joined to the cooler partly covers the hole for the bolt. I got a thin socket in there to remove it and I can only assume it wasn't on straight cos I can't get the thread to catch. I'm doing this while also holding a metal gasket in place and trying to keep the holes for the top and bottom parts of the valve together.

So any suggestions on how I can get this bolt back in? I've spent at least an hour already but it got too hot so I stopped.

You can see the threads on the bolts in the gap. The pipe next to it (not the one immediately on the foreground) is preventing me from getting the socket on and lining the bolt up.

20200623_153310_copy_907x510.jpg.cb4e972d56eaa4a1116401d48e2b1672.jpg

This is the valve and cooler from an eBay photo. It's the pipe coming out of the middle that curves upwards. Where the bend is that's the bolt next to it.

20200623_164723.thumb.jpg.3079b509bdca0e4dad1293ff67d5595f.jpg

Don't worry I've sorted it. I didn't realise the mounting stud that went through the valve could be removed. So I took it out, took the valve off again and tightened the bottom part before refitting.

I've only had my Halfords toolkit over 10 years and that's the first time I've used the star shaped sockets. Always wondered what they were used on! :lol:

I always take photos but this was a fairly simple job, just bloody awkward and no space to work in. Hoping to put it back together tomorrow, it's been far too hot!

Finished putting it back together today, it was much easier with that bolt removed! I'll have to remember that in future. If the bolt is star shaped at the end it can probably be removed.

One nut was an absolute sod to access, it's practically done blind and with all the cables in the way difficult to get a socket on. You can't get a spanner on it as it's covered. In the photo above it's the hole in the right side bracket.