2002 Lexus IS 300

Bruce

Hello Tony,

I have had three Lexus IS 300’s. My current 300 has excessive tire wear on the inside edge of the tires.  I have taken it in repeatedly to have alignment checked and it is stable.  I found on an American forum that you have sorted out the geometry for this car suggesting I contact you.   I am hoping you are willing to share that data so I can have the front front end adjusted to eliminate or reduce this issue.  Thank you. 

3EE48E7B-6548-4524-823D-828C38B0EAE1.jpeg

• Like 1

Hi Bruce

This is going to read way more complicated than it needs to be.....

Most tyre shops will say the wear is a comber issue but it's not?

The problem is the front caster position. It's too low?

To explain the front camber and castor have a marriage. When the steering is turned each camber angle migrates, this means for example on a left turn the inner wheels camber lifts and the outer wheels camber drops. 

The problem you have is the rate of the drop is dictated by the castor position. There other factors going on but let's stick with solution.

The front castor is not adjustable "directly" but it is indirectly?..... Moving the front camber too -10' will massively displace the toe angle.... Correcting this will indirectly increase the castor. The position will violate the Lexus datum which is fine since they got it wrong.

The tech working on the car might be very alarmed on the toe displacement but the correction is in a safe direction, meaning the tie-rods are adjusted in not out.

On 16/12/2019 at 09:38, Tony said:

Eddie if i recall your car was one of my "test" cars to prove my new settings....... Shocking to think it was so long ago!!!

It was Tony, one of the first ones you used to perfect the non-factory calibrations - I came in with the car less than one year old with 5,000 miles on the clock and the inside wear on the tyres meant I needed all four replacing! 15 years ago :0