Tesla Model 3 performance pack and me......

Tony

I've got involved with the new Tesla Model 3 to help develop coilover suspension and enhanced chassis adjusters. The initial step is to gain an image of the chassis to reveal the build quality on a brand new 50 miles on the clock model 3 with dual motors. 

Once i saw the car i realized I'm going to struggle with the technology. It doesn't have a key as such. The owner opened and armed the car from his phone. Getting in i didn't know it was alive, where's the hand brake, no clutch, how do i put it in gear and where's the bloody dash........

IMG_1215.JPG.789957d9aa3446c91aeec15c791bb9f3.JPG

Eventually i drove the car on the ramp, I then had to fool the technology to avoid it putting its self in park and applying the handbrake, which it does for you once the driver's door is opened.

On measuring, it was actually quite good. One rear camber is near perfect but that to me is an issue because the suspension is new, meaning once settled the camber will be too deep. In addition, one rear toe angle was out of tolerance but other than that all was good.

All in all it was a good start. Struggling with the technology but i do like the car, in particular the panoramic glass roof

IMG_1216.JPG.2bca9130a82405047636cdd5451b9f0a.JPG

Which on test is stronger than a steel roof. So coilover evolution begins....

Too be continued........

• Like 1

Indeed.... I think there's a totally new evolution here. Not sure where or how high but being part of it can only be a good thing since I/ we are all on the same page.

I think the only part i don't like is the cars AI, but that;s an age barrier thing, so I'll just have to adjust my "trust".

Tesla are on the back foot a bit because there's issues with terrible tyre wear on the model S and X.

I'm not to sure how the coilover development in the UK will evolve because few owners here will track the car, whereas in the US it's a done thing.

What i am interested in is the evolution of the chassis adjustment range since this will give me the tools to correct Tesla's mistakes.

I don't really understand how any car manufacturer these days can design a chassis that has geometry flaws.

Surely the computer models and availability of sophisticated facilities such as WIM should show up these issues long before production?

Normally a new model uses a previous proven chassis. On a new build on paper everything might read right but this doesn't always work in the real world. Often with a new build they offer revisions to correct problems, but not always.

I've written new settings on BMW's, Merc, Lexus, Mazda, so on so on..... Tesla are a learning curve for me and a curve i need to understand since electric cars are the future. So if off the bat there's a problem then i need to know what and how to cure it.