406 Coupe Pulling Problem

Hi,

I've got a 2002 Peugeot 406 Coupe that pulls to the left. I noticed it on the test drive and as a condition of me buying it, the (main) dealer was supposed to fix it. They replaced all four tyres (Nexen 3000) and had the front end tracked (both at a third party garage) before I took delivery of the car. It hadn't cured the problem so I sent it back to them.

The second time, the dealer got the same third party to track up the front end again - to no avail.

The third time it went back the dealer sent it to another third party (but part of the same company) for a full geometry alignment. This seemed to make it better but it still wasn't right.

I took it back for a fourth time and this time the dealer replaced the steering rack and sent it to the first third party for tracking. It came back worse than when it went in.

I emailed WIM and Tony very kindly called me back to suggest switching the front wheels around and check this forum for more info. I switched them around and the difference is amazing. The car no longer pulls sharply left when you let go of the steering wheel and it isn't a constant battle to keep the car going straight.

It did notice something else though. When making a small turn to (eg: to change lanes) going left is different to going right. If I make a small right turn and then let go of the steering wheel, it returns to the centre immediately. If I do a small turn to the left and let go of the wheel, it does not return centre but stays turned (I hope I am explaining myself properly). This only applies for small turns.

After doing some reseach on this forum I decided to check the run out stripes. The red lines on the pictures show where the stripes are printed...

e8122434.jpg

e812241c.jpg

e81223ff.jpg

e81223f7.jpg

I also noticed that the yellow dots on the sidewalls where nowhere near the valves.

As the run out stripes on all corners are to the left side of the car and that swapping the fronts around made it a lot better the issue is with the tyres? As they have been fitted in this way (the stripes and the dots) I assume the third party has done this incorrectly?

I reckon I'm going to press the dealer to replace the tyres with a matched set (is that the correct term?). Is there anything else I should consider?

Thanks in advance and apologies for the length of the post.

Excellent...... You are one of the first members who has used the information within wim to directly solve your problem..Well done to everyone.

The lateral run out lines offer a challenge to the supplier if the tyre is directional.. It's fair to suggest the run out is set to the off-side, assuming the cornering return is sufficient.

If the cornering is still impaired then a different make of tyre could be a fair request from you.

Point to note...... The information you have gathered here will be beyond the understanding of the dealerships so expect to be in the position to educate :unsure:

Excellent...... You are one of the first members who has used the information within wim to directly solve your problem..Well done to everyone.

The lateral run out lines offer a challenge to the supplier if the tyre is directional.. It's fair to suggest the run out is set to the off-side, assuming the cornering return is sufficient.

If the cornering is still impaired then a different make of tyre could be a fair request from you.

Point to note...... The information you have gathered here will be beyond the understanding of the dealerships so expect to be in the position to educate :unsure:

Thanks for your help with this. I'm keen to award you the business in return (and keen to get it done right). Can you make me a price for a set of 215/55 ZR16? You know what my requirements are...! For your info I have centreless alloys (hope it wont cuase you a problem to balance them!). Obviously I can't promise you the business as the dealer is picking up the tab but I will do my best.

Cheers...

Thanks for your help with this. I'm keen to award you the business in return (and keen to get it done right). Can you make me a price for a set of 215/55 ZR16? You know what my requirements are...! For your info I have centreless alloys (hope it wont cuase you a problem to balance them!). Obviously I can't promise you the business as the dealer is picking up the tab but I will do my best.

Cheers...

Is there any preference for the make of tyre?

Can you give me some choices with prices? I'm not that fussed so long as it cures my problem. I do mainly motorway miles so I suppose road noise and wear are kind of important.

Can you give me some choices with prices? I'm not that fussed so long as it cures my problem. I do mainly motorway miles so I suppose road noise and wear are kind of important.

Will do..... Are you also going to "inform" your complaint to the dealer?..... As i said on the phone, it would be wise.

Will do..... Are you also going to "inform" your complaint to the dealer?..... As i said on the phone, it would be wise.

I'm typing the email out now! :unsure:

If you need any help on the techy stuff let us know...... But if you have any problems with them wim can send the team around.

post-2-1187553524.jpg

We have some well trained rodents :huh:

Hahaha! I may give them your details if that's ok (but don't let the rodents loose on them!) :unsure:

I am going to press them to pay for the four new tyres, fitting and balancing. Also for a geometry check and any adjustments as I don't trust them to have done it properly!

Hahaha! I may give them your details if that's ok (but don't let the rodents loose on them!) :unsure:

I am going to press them to pay for the four new tyres, fitting and balancing. Also for a geometry check and any adjustments as I don't trust them to have done it properly!

You can advise them of our position before any transaction is made. And allow them to address this however they feel fit. Assuming you are in agreement.

Any financial transaction between us prior to any complaint will make our opinion "void" since we then become an interested party.

I strongly advise you to make a complaint. Listing your reasons and methods for solutions. Suggest a reasonable time scale for them to react and a deadline for your reaction.

Any possible costs or compensation fees also needs to be visible to them including interest incursions to you if payment is credit based prior to their settlement.

wim is 100% with you and understands your complaint "but!" you need to ensure any corrective measures outside of the interested party "wim" is dealt with in advance.

Point to note...... The information you have gathered here will be beyond the understanding of the dealerships so expect to be in the position to educate :arrowhead:

Cheers...

Keeping to branded and directional tyres these are the best i could find

Dunlop SP9000 @ £95 all inc

Goodyear F1 @ £132 all inc

Budget brands go as low as £79 inc..... So it all depends on your flavor.

Thank you. Do you have a lead time on these tyres? I take it you'll be able to get a set where the run out is slightly to the offside as suggested? How much to check (and adjust if needed) the geometry of my car also?

I am currently in discussions with the dealer and my solicitor as to the best course of action. It may be that we agree to send the car to you for an offical diagnosis before any work is done - how much would that cost?

To top it all off I'm going on holiday Friday so it's likely we'll have to wait for my return. At least I'll be driving abroad where the road camber is on the other side!

Apologies for all the questions and I'd like to thank you once again for your help and support. :arrowhead:

Thank you. Do you have a lead time on these tyres? I take it you'll be able to get a set where the run out is slightly to the offside as suggested? How much to check (and adjust if needed) the geometry of my car also?

I am currently in discussions with the dealer and my solicitor as to the best course of action. It may be that we agree to send the car to you for an offical diagnosis before any work is done - how much would that cost?

To top it all off I'm going on holiday Friday so it's likely we'll have to wait for my return. At least I'll be driving abroad where the road camber is on the other side!

Apologies for all the questions and I'd like to thank you once again for your help and support. :arrowhead:

The tyres take two day to acquire.... The calibration fee for your car is £60+ vat. This is due to it's limited adjustments.

Update - The dealer is still deciding what to do. I am going on my holiday later this evening so have passed the matter to my solicitor to deal with in my absence. Hopefully this will be sorted out by the time I get back (3 Sep) and we can book the car in for the work.

Thanks once again for all your help. :thumbsup_anim:

Update - The dealer is still deciding what to do. I am going on my holiday later this evening so have passed the matter to my solicitor to deal with in my absence. Hopefully this will be sorted out by the time I get back (3 Sep) and we can book the car in for the work.

Thanks once again for all your help. :o

Enjoy your brake :thumbsup_anim:

• 2 weeks later...

Right - just got off the phone with the dealer (a guy called Robert Trowt @ Waters Peugeot). He has agreed that I can take my car into your garage for a diagnosis. If you then could then let them know what the problem is and the cost of the solution he will authorise it. I said I don't mind paying on my credit card and then claiming the money back from them. I gave him the name of your company and he said he'd drop you a line to sort out - hope this is ok.

I suppose the next question is when can I book my car in?!

Right - just got off the phone with the dealer (a guy called Robert Trowt @ Waters Peugeot). He has agreed that I can take my car into your garage for a diagnosis. If you then could then let them know what the problem is and the cost of the solution he will authorise it. I said I don't mind paying on my credit card and then claiming the money back from them. I gave him the name of your company and he said he'd drop you a line to sort out - hope this is ok.

I suppose the next question is when can I book my car in?!

I spoke to Robert@ Waters and we have a green light... So you give me a date/time.

How about Monday (10th), say 10am?

You are booked.... <_<

Thank you. Looking forwad to eventually meeting you and seeing your workshop.

Point to note please........ It's not my company or workshop!.... I am only using this company until the new wim centre is open anytime soon.

Thanks for your help today - it was good to meet you and chat face to face.

I went to the dealer and they put a new set of Continental Premium Contact 2's on. The pattern is asymetrical and it looked like all four tyres came from the same batch (ie: the run out stripes were all in the same place). As they are asymetrical the run out stripes are now all on the inside of the rims. (I was shocked at the list price though - £172.00 each).

The car does drive a lot better. I'd say about 80% of the pull has gone but it still does have a drift to the left. When I changed the Nexens round all of the pull had gone - would this be because they would then be pulling the other way and balancing out something else?

I'm not totally happy with the way it is at the moment but I can live with it for a while. What sort of things do I need to be looking at now? Cheers! :sad01_anim:

Thanks for your help today - it was good to meet you and chat face to face.

I went to the dealer and they put a new set of Continental Premium Contact 2's on. The pattern is asymetrical and it looked like all four tyres came from the same batch (ie: the run out stripes were all in the same place). As they are asymetrical the run out stripes are now all on the inside of the rims. (I was shocked at the list price though - £172.00 each).

The car does drive a lot better. I'd say about 80% of the pull has gone but it still does have a drift to the left. When I changed the Nexens round all of the pull had gone - would this be because they would then be pulling the other way and balancing out something else?

I'm not totally happy with the way it is at the moment but I can live with it for a while. What sort of things do I need to be looking at now? Cheers! :angry2:

£172 :sad01_anim: .... Oh my word, i assume they paid for this!!

When you moved the Nexons the drift pushed right.... The new tyres have no push/pull so you now have an "eventual drift".

All car manufacturers allow an "eventual limit" this is a recognized distance before the car drifts off-line... So how far do you travel before you need to correct your line?