Suspension top mounts

Rich

Tony - The play I told you about in both front wheels I think I've found the problem...

I've noticed that the shock moves with one of them so I think the bearing/top mount are going. The other side the play is so minimal I can't tell if the shock is moving.

Can lowering the car 30mm have any affect on them though or is it just wear and tear? They've covered 170K miles.

I will put it through the MOT with these on but if it fails on them, I'm seriously considering the camber adjuster kit as I think new bearings/mounts from ford will be more expensive than the Eibach kit.

Some cars once lifted have huge amounts of play in the top mount. This is due to the fact the bushings are separated whilst the suspension is relaxed.

My only concern is that your description is only one side of the car? So it's likely a top mount is worn.... Go for the adjustable camber mounts. You will become an ambassador for MEG and the whole community will be watching :thumbsup_anim:

I'm trying to think back to when I fitted the springs and I'm almost certain there wasn't as much play.

I will check the nuts are tight enough tomorrow, don't have the right spanner on me now.

If I do get the adjustable kit I really wanted to do it after the MOT when I've decided whether I'm poly bushing the lower arms or not so I can it all at the same time.

So what kind of benefits would I gain from having the adjustable mounts? As when you last measured the car after it was lowered you said it was still within the camber range so should be ok.

I'm trying to think back to when I fitted the springs and I'm almost certain there wasn't as much play.

I will check the nuts are tight enough tomorrow, don't have the right spanner on me now.

If I do get the adjustable kit I really wanted to do it after the MOT when I've decided whether I'm poly bushing the lower arms or not so I can it all at the same time.

So what kind of benefits would I gain from having the adjustable mounts? As when you last measured the car after it was lowered you said it was still within the camber range so should be ok.

"Should" and actual are miles apart. Having the opportunity to manipulate the steer camber positions even a few minutes opens some very wide doors.

I would be inclined to go for adjustable mounts, ever more so since you have a passion to modify the car. Any future adjustments if available would be wise.

If I do go for them could I but them from the WIM shop or only demontweeks?

I can't seem to find any info on the Eibach site or what they look like/how they fit etc!

I can't seem to find any info on the Eibach site or what they look like/how they fit etc!

We can get them for you... The mount has an off-set spherical platform. As this is turned the strut position is displaced +- 45' or so.

We can get them for you... The mount has an off-set spherical platform. As this is turned the strut position is displaced +- 45' or so.

Well it give you abit more to adjust than just the toe! :thumbsup_anim:

Would you fit them for free if I get them!!! :lol: :lol:

Well it give you abit more to adjust than just the toe! :thumbsup_anim:

Would you fit them for free if I get them!!! :lol: :lol:

Tempting...................... Errrrr...................... No :D

Worth a try! :lol:

Had another look earlier. The side that had the most play, the mount nut was tight, so I just put the spanner on to see if it would go any further. Once I raised the car it wasn't as bad, although there was some slight movement. Whole shock moves when moving the wheel.

The other side, however, the nut was only finger tight, must've come undone :o Have tightened it back up and it still has some slight movement the same as the other side.

As I have 30mm lowering springs on standard shocks, not shortened ones, could that be the reason I have a little bit of play when jacked up as the springs wouldn't be compressed that much? When I fitted the rears I didn't even need to compress the spring as I got the mounting plate and nut on just by pushing it down onto the spring!

I think the hub nut is a bit loose as well on this side or the bearings going because there's some movement in all directions when pulling/pushing the wheel and it's only the disc that moves with it...I checked the lower ball joint and TRE and they're fine.

Next time i see you E-R i'm definitely giving you a bottle of thread-lock :lol:

You think I need some then? :o

The nut on the top mount isn't a nylock though which seems abit stupid to me! The one on top of the rubber cover is though.

:o I've posted the pics of me tyres in the other thread :)