Seat Exeo alignment whoes :(

Matthew Webb

Hello,

I've been recommended WIM via another forum I use and I'm hoping someone can help me out as my alignment is driving me nuts and I'm getting fed up spending money and not getting results :(

I had my front tyres changed and the garage did an alignment as the left side front was wearing on the inner edge. After that alignment (no print out given) the car needed the steering wheel held off centre to go straight and it felt weird in corners. They also marked my other wise unmarked alloys :(

I took it back and the guy that did the alignment went out for a drive with me. He said it was just the road camber and nothing to worry about.

I then went on a 300 mile road trip and found on the motorways and a-roads i've driven on before that i needed to counter steer right to keep the car going straight. I also found the car felt less stable on a-road corners.

I then took the car to a local tyre chain at the other end of my trip and had them carry out an alignment thinking the first place just didn't know what they were doing. But the steering is still out on straight roads!

Here's a link to the results https://goo.gl/photos/im79BQ9dDsb2KNum8

The guy doing the work said he couldn't adjust the number on the left hand side - it's either caster or camber, I can't tell from the diagram (red -1.23) on this vehicle as it's non-adjustable. He said it was probably out due to damage caused from bumping up a curb. He is correct as my wife did slide the car (she says slowly) into curb during last year's winter. At the time I had the geo checked and they said they made some tweaks but I am guessing this was what resulted in the inside edge tyre wear of that tyre. The steering was straight though.

So now I am left with car that won't steer straight ahead and have another 300 miles to drive today. Any ideas anyone? I'm based in Potters Bar, Hertfordshire can anyone recommend me somewhere to go. I'm happy to travel a reasonable distance and keen to find a garage for tyre and alignment work I can confidently use in future!

Thank you in advance,

Matt

Hi Matt, welcome to WIM.

On the print out they haven't measured the caster, it's just showing a dash instead of the number. The camber does look too deep and could be the result of something being bent. I'm sure Tony will advise when he's on later.

If you are only in Potters Bar you might as well go over to WIM in Chesham, it's 30 minutes from you.

Hello

The NSF camber is an issue and since it's not naturally adjustable one would assume there is a bend. Unfortunately the data acquired on their measurements is insufficient to triangulate The tell tail angle is the SAI ( Steering Axis Inclination ) which is basically the angle of the lower ball joint. 

A pull due to the camber would be to the right but i suspect yours is going left? In which case the castor angle on the NSF is lower than the OSF which can be verified by the NSF wheels set-back and the wheel base.

A pull due to the camber would be to the right but i suspect yours is going left?

If Matt is counter-steering to the right to keep the car straight then it must be going left.

So what could be bent (if it's that) Tony to make the camber go like that - ball joint, lower arm, strut, hub?

Historically it's the lower wishbone twisted and bent. Sometimes it's the shock bent at the hub = camber and wishbone = castor. If they are both wrong then it's normally the wishbone and confirmation is set-back and wheel-base.

All sorted and the car is perfect to drive again. I was treated very well too, top chaps.

It was previously set up as a non sport suspension equipped Exeo plus something slightly out with the rear camber. All setup correctly now.

I'll be coming to you guys for all of my tyre and yearly geo work from now on. Definitely worth the 30 min drive to a garage that knows what they're doing! :)

• Like 1

Yeah it's fine, the benchmark on the standard suspension would mean the NSF camber is out but as the sport suspension setting runs more camber anyway it's actually fine.

I think it was just tweaks today but a little difference hear and there seems to make a big difference overall. Certainly on corners it feels back to normal now :)

Yeah it's fine, the benchmark on the standard suspension would mean the NSF camber is out but as the sport suspension setting runs more camber anyway it's actually fine.

I thought so once you said the other place had done it to the standard model. Glad it's all sorted now - the WIM way! :D

Yes a little bit of due diligence would have sorted, but every cloud has a silver lining and I've now found you guys :D - quick Q though - if I was to swap over to winter alloys and tyres - say 16 or 17in and ensured I kept the same rolling diameter as the standard 18s, would the alignment still be ok? I haven't bought the winter set yet, just considering at this stage.