MX5 still pulling to the left after

Retroglide08

My '51' MX5 mk2.5 was pulling to the left slightly before fitting Eibach Pro Kit springs. I let things settle for a while and booked in at a nationwide tyre fitters for 4 wheel alignment. I was called to say that they had adjusted as much as they could and that the tolerance was still out by not as much and hence still pulling. They suggested something may be bent.

I find this hard to believe as even they admitted the car is like new condition.

They were puzzled by what it could be and recommended starting by replacing the suspension arms.

I'm booked in with you on Saturday with hope to rectifying this or if there is something bent then telling me what it actually is.

Thanks for the welcome

Haven't done that, although tread wear seems pretty uniform. I'm gonna see how it goes on Saturday when I visit. If it is the tyres then that would be a relief. Either way I'm sure my car may benefit from the visit.

Is the geometry and adjustability as per a normal car as the technicians couldn't have missed something could they?

Apologies for my lack of knowledge. Oh, and no print out was given.

It's not to do with the tread depths but the construction of the tyre, have a read of this - http://www.wheels-inmotion.co.uk/forum/index.php?showtopic=165

TBH whoever you took it to probably didn't have a clue what they were doing and just tried to get the red bits green so it's within the range Mazda specify. The MX5 has adjustable everything, so - toe, camber and castor, which means it's a great car to setup and alot more flexible than most cars.

As you've lowered it I'm assuming you are a fast road driver and WIM have their own settings which makes the car handle great, I also have a MK2.5 with the WIM fast road setup. You're definitely going to the right place :)

Thanks Rich, I'm perhaps feeling a bit more optimistic with regards to poor setup causing the problem rather than damage. This is an immaculate little car with an awesome history and I'd be very surprised if it was damage considering the way the original owner looked after it. Looking forward to visiting in a Saturday

Hello

I have been watching your thread in Nuts.... There is no way you need a wishbone/ s because if that's bent you know it's bent. Often shops don't measure the castor angle despite the fact it's a major player in handling and pulling. On some cars ( mainly German ) we need to stagger the front camber and castor to compensate for the road crown but historically the 5 likes a symmetrical setup. Anyway we can measure deep into the chassis and within 15min know what's the criminal.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...