Camber/toe problem with my Altezza

So was in my uncles garage the other day and he noticed that the angles of the front wheels was off a bit. The top of the wheel was in more than the bottom on the drivers side front. So would this be the camber or toe thats out and is it easily fixed? Trying to book my car in to get the geometry checked by WIM in the next week or 2. It all started happening after i got the coilovers fitted. So hopefully WIM arent too busy and i can get my geometry done soon. The coilovers ar D2 and im not sure if they are camber adjustable ;)

Ill try get a pic of it up so you can see what im on about.

Cheers

So was in my uncles garage the other day and he noticed that the angles of the front wheels was off a bit. The top of the wheel was in more than the bottom on the drivers side front. So would this be the camber or toe thats out and is it easily fixed? Trying to book my car in to get the geometry checked by WIM in the next week or 2. It all started happening after i got the coilovers fitted. So hopefully WIM arent too busy and i can get my geometry done soon. The coilovers ar D2 and im not sure if they are camber adjustable ;)

Cheers

The coilovers are not camber adjustable but the car is. How low have you taken the car?

Cheers

The coilovers are not camber adjustable but the car is. How low have you taken the car?

Im not sure exactly Tony. the place that did them just lowered it until "It looked good". I have since had to raise the rear up, because it dropped after it settled, and the gap between the rings on the coilovers is 6'1/4 inches. heres a pic of the current height. I have no problem raising the car up a bit if its going to make things difficult to fix. What you think. Is it Too low???

dsc00406gh7.jpg

Cheers

Im not sure exactly Tony. the place that did them just lowered it until "It looked good". I have since had to raise the rear up, because it dropped after it settled, and the gap between the rings on the coilovers is 6'1/4 inches. heres a pic of the current height. I have no problem raising the car up a bit if its going to make things difficult to fix. What you think. Is it Too low???

dsc00406gh7.jpg

If i were to calibrate the car these need a space to fit between the tyre and wheel arch...

post-2-1183136771.jpg

wim also did an 18 month research on a lowered Tezza... we lowered it, calibrated it...... The lowered it again until the adjusters were exhausted... Once done we then monitored the level of tyre wear to calculate the wear rate and cost to the owner..... The end results were very good.

Cheers

dsc00406gh7.jpg

If i were to calibrate the car these need a space to fit between the tyre and wheel arch...

post-2-1183136771.jpg

wim also did an 18 month research on a lowered Tezza... we lowered it, calibrated it...... The lowered it again until the adjusters were exhausted... Once done we then monitored the level of tyre wear to calculate the wear rate and cost to the owner..... The end results were very good.

Sounds good Tony. I'd say i have enough clearance for those devices. So can i book mine in?? I was planning on trying to get the 7th July. I sent u a mail about the dates i could do.

I have your email.... Your preferred date states the 9th is this correct because here your preferred date is the 7th?

Yes, sorry just noticed that now preferred date would be Sat 7th July if possible ;)

I have your email.... Your preferred date states the 9th is this correct because here your preferred date is the 7th?

Yes, sorry just noticed that now preferred date would be Sat 7th July if possible :D

No sorry.... We are at the tdi meet at Lakeside.

• 1 month later...

So after discovering my coilovers are leaking Went up to Tuning Factory to tell them the problem and they said they would replace them for me no problem. i think i remember i got the last set he had in stock and they were the old model. Hopefully the new ones don't have any similar issues or ill be well p**sed!

The drivers side front and rear are leaking the worst:

dsc00524sv9.jpg

dsc00522ik9.jpg

The damp spots are the oil from the coilovers :? So i think ill need to get a new set of adjustments/angles off you Tony. And ill get the geometry done with the new ones fitted

Blimey that's not leaking it's totally blown..... Let me know when you are ready mate and we can work on the calibration again.

So i shouldnt drive the car with the coilovers like this. I have been taking it handy since i noticed the damage and havent noticed any difference in handling

Blimey that's not leaking it's totally blown..... Let me know when you are ready mate and we can work on the calibration again.

So i shouldnt drive the car with the coilovers like this. I have been taking it handy since i noticed the damage and havent noticed any difference in handling

Trouble is on an undulating road surface.... On a long bend the coils have no dampening reply.... You could end up with a motorcar version of a "tank slap".

Trouble is on an undulating road surface.... On a long bend the coils have no dampening reply.... You could end up with a motorcar version of a "tank slap".

Ok Tony whats a "tank slap"? :whistle: Constant banging and knocking or uncontrollable car!

Ok Tony whats a "tank slap"? :whistle: Constant banging and knocking or uncontrollable car!

A "tank slap" is terminology used for motorbikes. This is when the rear "fish tails" and the driver compensates with alternating opposite steering actions. Most times this amplifies the "fish tail" ending with the rear violently stepping out, throwing the rider.... Or spinning the car in your case.

• 2 weeks later...

getting my new replacement coilovers fitted today. I asked him to not set the height as low this time and to keep them dampening soft, just to be in the safe side. Ill send you on a new set of measurements Tony once i get the car back later on.

getting my new replacement coilovers fitted today. I asked him to not set the height as low this time and to keep them dampening soft, just to be in the safe side. Ill send you on a new set of measurements Tony once i get the car back later on.

Ok mate..... Good stuff

Ok mate..... Good stuff

Hi Tony just a quick question, got the car back just now and he said he had to replace 3 of them, however under close inspection, visually none of the coilovers have been replaced. My question is, is there internal parts in a coilover that can be replaced that you cant see from the outside, maybe thats what he fixed. haven't had a chance to bring the car for a good spin. Just thought id find out before i go back to him and accuse him of lying to me!

Ok mate..... Good stuff

Hi Tony just a quick question, got the car back just now and he said he had to replace 3 of them, however under close inspection, visually none of the coilovers have been replaced. My question is, is there internal parts in a coilover that can be replaced that you cant see from the outside, maybe thats what he fixed. haven't had a chance to bring the car for a good spin. Just thought id find out before i go back to him and accuse him of lying to me!

You can get repair kits.... Seems odd though :thumbsup_anim:

Contact one of the TDI team they will be more familiar with any kits.

You can get repair kits.... Seems odd though :P

Hi Tony i finally got around to getting the revised measurements, and it turns out its at 34.5cm all round from wheel arch to centre of the wheel . Not sure if this makes any differences to the last set of angles you gave me. I plan on getting the geometry done tomorrow.

Cheers

Dan

You can get repair kits.... Seems odd though :P

Hi Tony i finally got around to getting the revised measurements, and it turns out its at 34.5cm all round from wheel arch to centre of the wheel . Not sure if this makes any differences to the last set of angles you gave me. I plan on getting the geometry done tomorrow.

Cheers

Dan

No..... The positions i sent you are the target. Anything less is an issue for me..... I have PM'd you my mobile number in case we need to manufacture the positions on the fly.

No..... The positions i sent you are the target. Anything less is an issue for me..... I have PM'd you my mobile number in case we need to manufacture the positions on the fly.

Just went into the garage this morning to get the geometry checked. I showed him the measurements you sent me and he said he can only set it to the measurements that the computer has for my car. He will give me a print out of before and after. Going back to him after lunch or the morning to get it done. I said he could ring you to discuss the measurements but he seemed a bit offended by that!! If I do have time to get it done today ill ring you and stick him onto the phone to you!

Just went into the garage this morning to get the geometry checked. I showed him the measurements you sent me and he said he can only set it to the measurements that the computer has for my car. He will give me a print out of before and after. Going back to him after lunch or the morning to get it done. I said he could ring you to discuss the measurements but he seemed a bit offended by that!! If I do have time to get it done today ill ring you and stick him onto the phone to you!

Them being "offended" is typical of a company who knows their workmanship is being watched..... Anyway how did things go in the end?

Them being "offended" is typical of a company who knows their workmanship is being watched..... Anyway how did things go in the end?

Didn't have time to go back to him Tony, just got the keys to my new apartment so that sort of took up most of the day, should get back to him before Saturday. So surely he can change the settings to the ones you gave me. Says it will take him about an hour and a half to do it ? :thumbsup_anim: