Cam belts and the modified engine

well i've doubled the power so i'm gonna half the miles or years for the next change , for what it costs to change a belt against re-building an engine it's a no brainer , :thumbsup_anim:

Seems wise... It's odd some seriouse guidelines are not avalible since a belt failure is so terminal.

On the IS if the max output is 400 bhp on STD internals then i'd assume the belt would be o.k up to that.

I'd like to know too if there are stronger belts out there, always wondered.

the max bhp on STD internals is approx 260 bhp befor it go's bang , the belt change at 6 years or 100,000 miles by lexus is a long time , my belt was 6 years old with 60,000 miles and was found to be delaminating ( falling apart ) , ive looked for stronger belts too , with no joy , :)

The need for a cam belt change frequency to be increased would primarily be governed by the load.

If you fitted a high lift cam and stronger valve springs, then clearly the load on the belt will increase. Just fitting a massive turbo won't increase the load or wear on a cam belt.

That said, if it spends its life at high rpm, then it may still be worth doing more frequent changes.