Does lowering and positive castor angle affect handling or anything

paule3d

Hi. 

Im going to fit 40mm lowered springs on a Mondeo Mk2 (ST24) estate as I'm fed up of the gaping great gap above the wheels!

I just realised this will give it positive castor angle at the front. Any idea if this would affect things?

I will get a geometry done at some point as I'd like to lower the back and replace all the bushes etc. (Though i heard on the Mondeo there is not a lot of things that can be adjusted such as camber.)

So does anyone know if there is anything I need to consider if lowering it?

Many thanks.

With a 40mm drop you will more than likely get a little camber wear on the front, I did with a 30mm drop, the rear should be unaffected though.

I would advise you keep away from the camber/caster adjusters they are not very good - been there done that!

All you can adjust is the front and rear toe.

It will be fine, the handling should be better once lowered, the caster angle shouldn't change, if it does it will only be a little. The adjusters I had fitted move the camber and caster at the same time, which was a nightmare. If the caster is wrong it will make the car feel unstable and I was glad to get them off.

I did alot of suspension mods on my Mondeo (hatchback) and despite the size it handled like a go-kart!

If you're fitting them yourself watch those pinch bolts!

Thanks a lot. yeah the pinch bolts, I've had a couple snap....getting used to it now! And the captive subframe bolts!
I dropped the subframe recently on 2 mondeos (I have an ST200 hatch for spare parts (and hopefully recon the engine) for the 24 estate), no problems dropping both subframes. It was putting the damn thing back. 3 of the 4 subframe bolts started spinning... now I have holes cut in both footwells and 1 near the washer bottle...lol :D 

Thanks a lot. yeah the pinch bolts, I've had a couple snap....getting used to it now! And the captive subframe bolts!

I dropped the subframe recently on 2 mondeos (I have an ST200 hatch for spare parts (and hopefully recon the engine) for the 24 estate), no problems dropping both subframes. It was putting the damn thing back. 3 of the 4 subframe bolts started spinning... now I have holes cut in both footwells and 1 near the washer bottle...lol :D

Been there done that! :lol:

I still miss that car  :)

mondeo td.jpg

Edit: I misread the post and thought you said camber not castor :blush:

The castor will stay the same unless you change the cars rake. Lower at the rear would increase castor, higher at the rear will decrease it.