change tyre size

phill_g

The pressures can stay the same, maybe increase/decrease slightly to your liking.

The off centre steering wheel is down to the tyres, you will need a geo done to get it centred.

Vibrating is almost certainly the balancing, I would get them to re-check it. Did they use the centre hole of the wheels to balance or stud holes? The former is a cosmetic hole and not always in the centre so when the wheel is mounted on the car using the stud holes the balancing might be out.

Blimey i have trained you well.....

• Like 1

A 45 profile will look soft compared to the 50 profile and in truth 33psi is about right, maybe 36psi tops but no more... Rich is correct about the balance and i bet if you look there's only one line of balance weights on the wheels? This is a common money saving effort in tyre shops to balance wheels with a single point optimized weight position but in reality this only works for motorcycle wheels/ tyres.

If the steering position was level before the tyres were fitted and there was no adjustment done to the geometry then the reason is the tyres? Reads odd and don't worry it's not a tyre defect it's more a tyre build issue so moving them side-to-side should resolve the issue.

I had the best teacher but I won't give up the day job just yet! :)

A 45 profile will look soft compared to the 50 profile and in truth 33psi is about right, maybe 36psi tops but no more... Rich is correct about the balance and i bet if you look there's only one line of balance weights on the wheels? This is a common money saving effort in tyre shops to balance wheels with a single point optimized weight position but in reality this only works for motorcycle wheels/ tyres.

If the steering position was level before the tyres were fitted and there was no adjustment done to the geometry then the reason is the tyres? Reads odd and don't worry it's not a tyre defect it's more a tyre build issue so moving them side-to-side should resolve the issue.

I have 45 on my 17s and 50 on the 16s, the 45 profile does look alot softer. I run mine at 32-33 psi, I find any higher comprises on the grip levels especially in the wet.

Swapping the wheels over could just make the steering wheel become off centre the other way I thought? If the tyres are directional that would mean taking them off to swap over.

Thanks guys :)

I think i will reduce the pressures a bit, as does seem fidgety with 36. I looked at the weights and your right, only 1 row of weights, so much for their precision balance lol,I wondered why I should need this as surely the balancing should be done precisely anyway!

I've found that after getting more miles on the car the wheel is becoming more weighty and centred so hopefully it's just a running in issue. May get it aligned at some point tho if i can actually find a place in Kent that can do it right :/ these eagle f1s deffinately make the car so much quieter as the mazda does have a lot of road noise.

Cheers

Phill