Hunter Wheel Sensors

Hi folks,

Does anybody know about the Hunter machines with the circular wheel hugger things that sit on the wheel and clamp to the tyre edge?

Only, I had an alignment done yesterday and the place I went to had a Hunter machine with these. However, they didn't place them dead centre on the wheels, and the rear near side one especially wasn't anywhere near the middle. I mentioned it to the guy doing the alignment but he seemed to think they didn't need to be central, as long as they were on the wheel. Is that right? My wheels aren't even flat (concave slightly), so I don't see how it would get the data correctly?

The huger type of clamp should also have the plastic pins that have to sit against the wheel lip. That should more of less centre the reflector. Once on the operator needs the do a ROC ( Run Out Compensation ) This is done by rolling the car back/ forth so the machine can calculate and compensate for any clamping errors or damaged wheels. If the error is to great the machine should flag a warning.

Ah, well they rolled the car forwards slightly after putting the huggers on. Only issue is that the steering is slightly off centre now. Grr. Also, the wheel huggers left light scratches on all my wheels, which seems a bit crap. Will take photos of them when I go back. Not sure that they had pins at the edge of the wheel, just a circular piece in the middle. There were only two arms that stuck out to grab the tyres. I might ask to put the huggers on myself next time and try to get them as central as possible.

The place that I had it done actually have a photo of the tyre hugger on the website: www.milestyres.com/tyres.php

Scroll down to where it says "Alignment" and there's a decent sized pic of the reflector. Shows it sat in the centre of the wheel, but all mine were slightly higher up the wheel, and one was up and more forwards on the wheel.

It's due to the front or rear toe adjustment being made with the steering level incorrect.... .The toe positions are fine but the steering "ahead" position is wrong.

Can you display the end printout so we can validate the numbers?

Yeah, will have to scan it in when I get home. They loaded in the standard BMW 1 series settings (don't have the MX-5 anymore), but the car is modified, so the front camber is showing as out of tolerance on the front (too much negative). Only just though.

Well I brimmed the tank on the way (which I never do normally) so hopefully that'll have been enough. Maybe I'll request to sit in the car when I get them to sort the steering wheel this weekend - I guess that'd give the most accurate adjustment?

Oh, and this is why you need to open a place in Bristol!

WIM has a trusted centre in Bristol.

FCM Wheel Alignment

Unit 1, Netham View Industrial Park

Netham Road, St George

Bristol

Gloucestershire

BS5 9PQ