Wide tyre wear

parthiban

This is mainly one for Tony as I'm sure he's told me in the past, but what is it that makes wide tyres (like the ones on our Merc) wear really quickly in the centre?

I remember you saying it isn't a pressure issue or anything and it is just characteristic of wide tyres, but can't remember why! :)

The level of wear would depend on the driving environment like mainly around town or mainly motorway...... The biggest criminal is centrifugal force pulling the weaker centre at bit like what you see from a dragster tyre on launch. The next criminal is water  :huh: As the tyre heats up the moisture in the air expands and in doing so it adds pressure over-inflating the tyre, it's for this reason nitrogen inflation is much better than water impregnated compressed air.

The level of wear would depend on the driving environment like mainly around town or mainly motorway...... The biggest criminal is centrifugal force pulling the weaker centre at bit like what you see from a dragster tyre on launch. The next criminal is water  :huh: As the tyre heats up the moisture in the air expands and in doing so it adds pressure over-inflating the tyre, it's for this reason nitrogen inflation is much better than water impregnated compressed air.

So the wear is caused by the centre of the tyre being pulled outwards once driving at speed (in very simple terms)? That makes sense, so I guess that a car used around town mainly would be better on tyres than one used on the motorway.

Thanks Tony, I'll try to remember it this time! There's a discussion on this over on the Merc forums and someone asked the question of "why" which I couldn't remember  :rolleyes: