Steering Wheel Position AGAIN

Hello Tony,

I know we’ve discussed this previously but I’ve got the same problem AGAIN on my new car and I would just like to clarify a few things.

I had some new wishbone bushes and winter tyres fitted on my Focus ST, the car drove perfect and the steering was spot on but I wanted it aligned to ensure I didn’t kill the tyres. Just like 9 months ago with my ST220, my car has come off the aligner worse than when it went in (Hunter DSP 600 4)!

Within 30ft I noticed that to drive in a straight line the steering wheel has to be 5 degrees or so to the left, grrr! I did a few miles test drive and took it back; they put it back onto the Hunter and asked me to confirm I was happy with the steering position before they re-align the car.

The wheel was clamped and I climbed in and checked it, it looked spot on. But you guessed it, as soon as I drove on the road I could tell the car was exactly as before, i.e. driving to the right with the wheel in the straight ahead position.

I left it at there for now, but I want to go back on Monday and get it sorted – then I won’t be using them again.

Is this operator error or is there some play in the ‘dead ahead’ position of the steering wheel? If they were to align the car again with the wheel 5 degrees to the right would this cure the problem?

This is so frustrating. I am hoping if they don’t fix it then I can get my money back via my credit card company as they have not provided a satisfactory service.

Thanks in advance.

uuaqMT8r.jpg

Good morning everybody.

Right I swapped the front alloys side to side, but I had to leave the rears as they are as the locking wheel nut snapped (common Focus fault, not happy).

Unfortunately there appears to be little or no difference, however I did take note of my tread depths as they tyres had previously done 10,000 miles on my Mondeo.

All measurements are outside to inside

Passenger Front

6.27 - 6.75 - 6.70 - 6.18

Drivers Front

6.16 - 6.77 - 6.86 - 6.06

Passenger Rear

7.24 - 8.00 - 8.02 - 7.29

Drivers Rear

6.68 - 7.49 - 7.57 - 6.41

Are these of any consideration? I could have sworn the steering wheel alignment was correct before going on the Hunter.

Tony, how confident are you that its the tyres?

Does the Hunter store all reports for all cars its been used on? If so can I go back and get the set back / wheel base measurements?

Is your number still 07984427383?

I've been for a bit more of a drive, and its possible there is an improvement but it can be so hard to tell, can't it?

Tony, if I go back to the alignment centre tomorrow and get the full details which are saved on the computer, will you be able to differentiate between the tyres being at fault or the alignment?

Don't bother with my mobile number at the moment because my phone has died..... As for confident? The geometry positions are fine assuming the steering position was correctly set at the time of the calibration. The next step would be to move the tyres side-to-side and test drive.

Hi Tony,

I appreciate our chat earlier so thank you for that, I did feel a little cheeky having given you no prior custom but as said when I need alignment doing in future I will just come and see you as although it'll cost me £50 in fuel it'll be a headache free option.

The chap at the alignment centre was friendly enough about it and did take his time, he also drove the car and agreed there was a problem. Once again the wheel was clamped and I agreed it was straight ahead.

Once the alignment was complete he said if it still doesn't fix the problem then the only thing he thinks it could be is the negative camber on the front, also as its not adjustable he suspects the subframe has been removed and refitted slightly off base although I know this to not be true as the subframe has never been off.

For now I'll just live with it, I'm just a little dissapointed as I am 99% sure the steering was straight prior to the alignment.

Also FYI the alignment was actually done on the new Hawkeye and not the Hunter 600.

Align1.JPG

Align2.JPG

Align3.JPG

Align4.JPG

All the set back and wheel base figures are fine. The front camber disparity can generate a force that would mean a left hand down position but it was like that before the original alignment so it's hard to blame that. I question the level of their ramp, purely because the before/ after camber positions has changed although it's not adjustable?

Good evening all.

While I agree camber can make a car pull to one side, wouldn't a manufacture insist on tolerances which would disregard the servere effects of camber?

Anyway, as simple as this sounds I had a brain storm earlier. Is it the tyres, the camber, the alignment or the steering position?

My answer is: the steering position.

Why? Driving along a smooth motorway with the car in a perfectly straight line and with the wheel slightly to the left - if I remove my hands off the wheel the steering position stays where it is, and the car continue to track steady a head.

If any forces were acting on the car they would be apparent the moment I let go of the wheel.

Tony would you agree that either the steering was set incorrect, or their machine is incorrectly calibrated?

Looking for the criminal is key to the complaint..... Fact is the steering position was fine until the tyres were changed and the geometry set. One or the other is the criminal. Moving the tyres is a diagnostic, failing a result from that the geo is the next line of sight. In the event this proves correct then another geo elsewhere should be done in order to validate their machines calibration.