I'm going to get one of these and it'll be handy for reading any codes I may get on the cars. Anyone got one, what are they like to use and can you get other software to use with them other than what it comes with?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/251012625633#ht_1173wt_1130

I have one of these.

http://www.amazon.com/Sainspeed-Launch-Creader-scanner-diagnostics/dp/B007VIOWIU/ref=sr_1_1?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1345735015&sr=1-1&keywords=obdii+creader+v

Can be bought cheaper as a clone, but they cannot be updated.

Also can also used to show live data.

Like most readers cannot be used to reset things like airbags or abs, as they tend to be manufacturer specific.

h

• Like 1

I have a total of three readers - a bluetooth one, a USB one and one specifically for renaults.

The two general purpose ones are Ok, but you need a laptop for the USB ones, and a mobile phone together with the 'torque' app (and I'm sure there are others) for the bluetooth one.

If you are after basic information then something like hms's one, or the free torque app, is ok, but to get more information out of the vehicle your one is a much better bet, though I found my special one for Renaults gave even more information.

The key is the software - you have the interface which is a good start, but you may find the software doesn't do all you want, so you may find yourself looking for something like this which gives a lot more information.

The software that comes with those readers is pretty good - mine is apparantly able to do remaps of the ecu and the like, but my beast is quite powerful enough as it is thank you :-)

I would say that buying that one is a good idea (as long as your car is a 2002+ petrol or a 204+ diesel), and the software will be good enough for now, but you may want to look around to see what other software is available if you want to do anything complicated.

ttfn

The cheap readers will cover all the common codes, but are very unlikely to do manufacturer-specific codes, so you get what you pay for,

I find with my special renault one, for instance, that there is a 'do all tests' button that will run through everything that applies to my make and model and goes far beyond the normal engine and geartrain codes that the cheaper ones cover.

compare:

cheap - from http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/CAR-FAULT-READER-DIAGNOSTIC-SCANNER-TOOL-OBD2-RESET-TOOL-ENGINE-LIGHT-SERVICE-/221058856291?pt=UK_Diagnostic_Tools_Equipment&hash=item3378227563#ht_4399wt_1159

1.Works with 1996 and newer cars & trucks that are OBD II compliant (including the CAN, VPW, PWM, ISO and KWP 2000 protocols)

2.Reads and clears generic and manufacturer specific Diagnostic Trouble Codes (DTC)

3.Turns off check engine light

4.Supports multiple trouble code requests: Generic codes, pending codes and manufacturer specific codes

5.Reviews the emission readiness status of OBD monitors

6.Retrieves VIN (Vehicle Identification No. ) on 2002 and newer vehicles that support Mode 9

7.Determines the malfunction indicator lamp (MIL) status

8.Free CD software with over 7000 DTC definitions

9.Easy to use with one plug-in

10.Highly reliable and accurate

11.Easy-to-read crystal-clear backlit 2-line LCD display

12.Stand-alone unit with no need for an additional laptop computer to operate

13.Small in size and conveniently fits in your palm

14.Safely communicates with the on-board computer

15.No batteries needed--powered via detachable OBD II cable

expensive - from http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ANY-CAR-DIAGNOSTIC-CODE-READER-SCANNER-INTERFACE-ENGINE-ABS-AIRBAG-AUTOBOX-ETC-/270962918626?pt=UK_Diagnostic_Tools_Equipment&hash=item3f16a604e2#ht_3829wt_1159

The Pro database offers a deep OBD2 generic and manufacturer specific coverage of European Cars like MB, BMW,Audi,VW,Porsche,Volvo,SAAB,Jaguar,Land Rover etc,and very good coverage of Japanese and North American Cars.For diagnostics in older pre-OBD2 cars, supplies specific OBD1 cables.

- Wireless communication is included in all car diagnostic products.

- The user can also add extra options such as repair information,service schedules and electrical diagrams from external suppliers,which can be connected to the program with ready to use links.

car diagnostic features

- User-friendly and intuitive software for passenger cars,light and heavy commercial vehicles and buses

- Fast and safe identification of vehicles and systems with the aid of ISI (Intelligent System Identification)

- Intelligent System Scan (ISS) function - automatically scans through all the vehicle's control systems

- Bluetooth and USB connectivity are standard

- Software available on CD/DVD

- Handles all current communications standards for vehicle diagnostics

- Help texts for available functions

- Reading and erasing fault codes

- Reading real-time data

- Restoring service messages

- Programming capabilities such as injectors, keys, remote controls etc

- Unique multiplex technology,which minimises the need for special cables

Functions

-Manufacture specific serial diagnose

-Scan function

-EOBD/OBDII communication

-Serial Systems

-Engine

-Ignition

-Climate

-ABS

-Service reset

-SRS

-Immobilizer

-Instrument

-Comfort system

-Gear-box etc.

ALL FUCTION MAY NOT COVER ALL MAKES AND MODELS OR CARS

In serial we do following:

-Read and erase fault codes

-Read live data

-Basic settings

-Programming

-Scan function

-Fully compliant to the eOBD/OBDII standard

For the cost of the cheap one you can't really go wrong - the very worse case is that it doesn't work at all with your vehicle - so it's a good idea to make sure your car is readable by these things. My scenic for instance uses a specific subpset of the obd standard (KWP 2000 I think) so I know what to look for when I am going to buy one of these things.

I found that the simple one worked ok, but I wanted to to see what else might be wrong so i got one of these: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Renault-CAN-Clip-V120-Shipped-from-UK-with-full-aftersales-support-/120973588196?pt=UK_Diagnostic_Tools_Equipment&hash=item1c2a9676e4#ht_702wt_1392 which gies a lot more info, but is only usable on renaults

ttfn