Filters, do they really need changing?

Another reason to avoid a diesel unless you do big milage, a service needs doing alot more than a petrol and costs more. I've not seen an oil filter like that though, did it not have a case or is that built in to the engine?

Another reason to avoid a diesel unless you do big milage, a service needs doing alot more than a petrol and costs more. I've not seen an oil filter like that though, did it not have a case or is that built in to the engine?

Not always true the intervals on my Octavia and Superb are around 18,000 miles , the air filter is changed at around 50k , the fuel filter every other service , brake fluid change every service

Costs around £230 at a main dealer or £160 at a independent

Compare than to the Evo also a 2l turbo and that needs a service every 4500m and costs around the same averaged out

Oil filter is a canister type. Unscrew the lid off the canister, pull the old one out, drop the new one in, and refit the lid. None of this rolling about on the floor with oil running down your sleeves. :lol:

As regards service costs, like said, 18k miles is the norm. It's also the same pollen & air filter on the petrol & diesel, oil filters cost about the same, and fuel filter is about the only thing which needs replacing more often. No spark plugs to worry about though, or coil packs, or HT leads. Plus 50mpg versus 30mpg.