Winter boots

Sagitar

Tony - you're aware that I changed my car recently from the IS250 to a 2009 Prius T-Spirit.

A major factor in the decision to change was the problem that I had driving in snow last winter and having to dig myself out on a couple of occasions.

I am now even more physically decrepit than I was then and the doc increased by beta-blockers dose just last week, so I am even more anxious not to get bogged down in snow this winter.

The T-Spirit is front wheel drive, so that helps. But it is fitted with low-rolling resistance Michelins (Michelin Pilot Primacy 215/45 R17 87W) - same tyre front and rear - and I hear that they are not very good on snow and/or ice. I must say in passing that they appear to be excellent in the wet. I did a long drive yesterday in heavy rain and dense motorway traffic and they never put a foot wrong even at high speed on a lot of free-standing water.

I am wondering whether it might be clever to change to some 15" wheels with suitable profile winter tyres for the winter months. I am assuming that providing we get the overall diameter and the offset right, that I should just be able to take off one set and put on the other as necessary. Toyota do make a 15" wheel for this car, but that is not an essential factor.

Cost is not a big issue, but could you give me some advice about the possibilities. I can drive over and see you if necessary.

Of course, if I do it, it will probably guarantee no snow for the forseeable future . . . . . :o

Thanks for your help.

I've yet to see a Prius on tyres with any kind of specific markings to identify them as low rolling resistance. Far as I've seen they use the same as any other car so I call B/S on that perticular claim.

As far as I am aware, few if any tyres have specific rolling resistance markings. Nevertheless, various laboratories carry out rolling resistance tests to specific industry standards (the European test is ISO 8767) and tyres on sale exhibit a wide range of performance against these standards. Toyota claim to choose tyres for the Prius which perform very well in rolling resistance tests and I have no basis to challenge that claim. Since a major design aim for the Prius is to achieve low petrol consumption, it would be a bit surprising if they did not seek out tyres that would help in this regard.

Every tyre exhibits a wide range of characteristics and choosing a tyre inevitably means compromising some characteristics in order to maximise others. The Michelins on my Prius seem to exhibit good performance against a wide range of desireable characteristics, including rolling resistance, but are reputed not to be as good as some others on snow and ice.

Of course, other manufacturers are free to choose the same or similar tyres, but I don't see what that has to do with my question. I would like to understand better what it is that you are trying to tell me. Can you enlighten me please?

215/45-17 converts to 185/65-15 with an error of -3.8mm. I'll get you some prices.

Thanks Tony, I look forward to hearing from you.

I dug out the latest Prius brochure and notice that their 15" wheel is supplied with a 195/65R15.

We can do 195/65-15 Continental TS830 for £75 all in each

post-2-1258968145.jpg

Thanks Tony, that looks good.

Do you have a view on suitable wheels. I could just buy a set of the standard 15" Prius wheels? I shall be going in to the Toyota dealer on Friday so could talk to him then?

I would stick to the official Prius wheels, that way nothing can go wrong.

Thanks, I will be in touch again if/when I get it sorted.

Tony, I am sending you an email that I hope will lead to tying up the loose ends.

Tony, I am sending you an email that I hope will lead to tying up the loose ends.

Got it and sorted...... I'll ring you when they arrive.

Got it and sorted...... I'll ring you when they arrive.

Tony - good to see you again this afternoon. Thanks for sorting the car; it drove impeccably on the way home. The higher profile winter tyres clearly give a softer ride than the OEMs and I will think about inflating them a bit harder, but make some enquiries first.

I am sincerely hoping that we will not get the snow that we had last year, but if it does come, I now feel more confident of dealing with it. I know I have turned into a silly old buffer, but it may be the difference between being able to get out or not over the holiday.

Best wishes to you and all the staff at WIM and Blackboots.