Balancing on the back?

Long story short, got tyres changed on the new motor, "nah mate you don't balance rear tyres". :crying_anim:

I swear I can feel something wrong at the back.

What say WIM?

Pirelli P7 on rear of a Mk5 Astra, so no fancy multilink suspension or anything.

Totally wrong even on the most basic level - when tyres are made they inevitably end up with different densities of rubber in the mix - so they will be unblanced.

It might be true that you don't feel unbalanced tyres through the steering so much, but they will still be putting undue stress on components by being unbalanced. And if you were to move a tyre from the rear to the front you would know about it.

If I was told that I would not use them again since they do not care about training their staff - and for someone to say that it's indicative of the rest of the organisations views, so chances are other parts of their business are similarly ignorant - which means they will not be doing the professional job you are paying them to do.

It's a shame that people are so scared of being sued that you can't have a register of garages to avoid due to this sort of thing.

ttfn

Got all 4 wheels balanced yesterday, car is much quieter. Fronts were "out 5-10g each" and rears were "so wildly out it wasn't funny" (direct quote from the place I got to balance them).

So, thanks to Central Tyre Services in Belfast for fixing the cockup of the other place which will remain nameless, to protect the stupid. Nice to see a proper family run business doing things right.

you should never protect the stupid who are in a possition of responcibility. Only protect the stupid that might choose to keep using them but naming and shaming, see it as supporting their business as they will either learn to better train their staff or slowly loose customers