SD cards

parthiban

I just bought a digital compact and was thinking I'll stick the SD I currently use in the D90 in this and get a new high speed one (as they're now a lot cheaper) for the Nikon.

However I'm entirely confused about how the speeds work. As the D90 is quite old now I imagine there's no point in the superfast 95MB/s cards as it probably can't use it?

Also I've always used Sandisk and the 16GB card I currently have works fine, yet for the D90 Nikon only approve Panasonic and Toshiba for sizes above 8GB. So should I get a Panasonic one or stick with Sandisk that I know well?

Will probably end up buying one of the below:

Sandisk

Panasonic

There probably isn't any need for a 95MB/s card and I doubt the D90 would be able use the top speed. A class 10 card like you have linked to would be perfect. Don't forget it's not always a good idea to go with 1 large card. If that fails you loose everything that's on it so getting 2 or 3 8GB cards would be better so if 1 failed you still have the photos on the other 2.

There probably isn't any need for a 95MB/s card and I doubt the D90 would be able use the top speed. A class 10 card like you have linked to would be perfect. Don't forget it's not always a good idea to go with 1 large card. If that fails you loose everything that's on it so getting 2 or 3 8GB cards would be better so if 1 failed you still have the photos on the other 2.

I don't really ever leave much on the card so I'm not too worried from that perspective, a large card is just convenient when on holiday but otherwise even the 16GB rarely gets filled. Only thought to get a 32 as it makes more sense price wise.

Any idea on Sandisk vs Panasonic or does it not really matter?