Strange tyre wear

Not sure which part of the forum would be better for this so I thought I'd post it in here.

Last weekend we had a trip up to Edinburgh, and it's the first time for ages I've driven the car for a decent distance. I thought I heard a wheel bearing grumbling at the rear, so made a mental note to have a look. As the fronts are odd (one Conti Sport and one Accelera) I thought I'd change all the wheels over to my spare set and look to get some fresh rubber on the ones I removed. The Conti is near to the wear bars anyway and the Accelera is just a crap one the dealer put on for some reason before I bought it. Both the Contis on the rear have plenty of tread.

So, took 'em off today and had a look at them. This is what I saw on the rear tyres. Inside edge is on the left and outside on the right.

tyre2.jpg

I dunno if you can see but the right hand side of the tread has worn strangely. The extreme right hand set of blocks has worn down more than the one next to it, and there's a definate lip between the two. The opposite wheel seems to be the same. After putting the other wheels on I took it for a quick test drive and the wheel bearing isn't droning any more. No surprise there.

Any ideas what the problem might be?

I know there's been issues with the Mk5 chassis out of the factory, and the manufacturers specification is not working well for the rear ends. Unfortunately I'm nowhere near any of your WIM stations as there appears to be a big black hole up north where I am. Are there any settings you could recommend if I take it to a local place? There's a few near me who are supposedly good according to the lads on the local VAG forum (including North Eastern Tyre and Autocare).