Possible wheel balance issue

Driving home tonight and noticed that at about 80mph and the steering turned slightly off centre ( due to curvature of the road as it were) I could feel a shake/ wobble in the steering and first thought was a that maybe a worn bush somewhere, but the car had a thorough check over not so long ago and all was ok, but then noticed that also with the steering in straight ahead position there is also a slight vibration ( at the same speed) although not quite as noticeable as when angling the steering, sure I had this scenario before on another car and a pucker wheel balance sorted it, is it right though that a wobble from out of balance wheel/ wheels could be felt to be sightly exaggerated when turning the steering at these sort of speeds?

Cheers Pete

Any steering vibration and the first port of call is to check the wheel balancing, so I'd get that checked first. Failing that, if the vibration is magnified when adjusting the steering wheel, it may be that the lower arm compliance bush is starting to give up, but that should have been visible when checking over the suspension.

Have to agree it reads more mechanical since turning the steering has a loading effect..... How many miles has the car done?

It's done 65,000 miles, strange thing is at say 70mph there is no vibration and turning the steering has no effect only seems to be aorund this 80mph speed, had 2 falken tyres put on, back in october last year (59,000 miles on the clock then) and balanced at WIM but the balancing was done using the centre of the wheel as I remember, so wonder if it's worth getting down to you and getting them balanced using the 5 stud adapter, which might sort it, as I think it did on my old Vectra C ?

Cheers Pete

I think that would be the next move.... The should have used the Huweka balance plate.

Ah right , I may well pop in on Friday afternoon to get them re- balanced as I'm going to out your way that afternoon, while it's there would it be ok just to have a quick check that the front bushes in your opinion are ok?

Cheers Pete

Just to say thanks to Pete for re-doing the wheel balancing and checking the front bushes along with joe checking one side ; the car seems to be behaving now having the wheels balanced using the 5 stud balance plate , quite surprised to see nearside rear wheel was 50 grams out!!, but anyway all's good now.

Cheers Pete

Good stuff..... Just goes to show how "off-centre" the centre hole is.

Certainly does mate, I here you're up in Milton keynes at the moment setting up the new place and training etc. hope all is going well with it all.

Cheers Pete

You can read about it in this thread> http://www.wheels-inmotion.co.uk/forum/ind...?showtopic=9373

This is another wim/ BB centre but much bigger and the latest equipment... Have a look at the thread :smile_anim:

Blimey Tony , this looks like big business mate and that site is bloody huge!! I wish you all the best with it and look forward to hearing more on how it's all going, good luck mate.

cheers Pete