MK1 Golf Cabriolet Help

Invisible Touch Detailing

Hi Tony, i hope you are well mate. I'd like to pick your brains if possible please regarding a friends car. Its a Mk1 Golf Cabriolet (with a Jabba Sport tuned G60 Supercharged lump in :) )

He booked the car in somewhere local to him yesterday that uses a Hunter Hawkeye system and i went along for the journey.

The car is extremely low, very hard ride, crashes on the slightest of dips in the road let alone a pothole! It also pulls quite badly to the left. The car was checked and came up with red everywhere! I'm going by memory here, but i believe the front camber was -0.08 passenger side and -1.57 drivers side, toe was i think something like 1.20 and 1.26, i really cant remember any other details i should have snapped it on my phone at the time.

They looked underneath and said great, its a single sided adjustment for the toe. The adjustment was on the drivers side and when they altered this it only changed the drivers side and not the passenger also. They were completely stumped by this and said they did not know what was wrong or how to rectify and therefore could not help. I said could they fix the camber to at least help, but they said there was no point till this problem was rectified.

So he left, a little annoyed that nothing had been done and is now wondering what to do.

Have you got any ideas as what could be the issue? I have read that on mk1's something could be fitted so that he has seperate adjustment on both sides?

They also said there was no adjustment they could make at the rear of the car at all.

I appreciate he hasnt come to you, and i did explain in my eyes you are the geometry man so just wondering if there is any ideas you may have or if you just need to see the car.

Many thanks mate

Christian

the camber must be due to the shocks not bein bolted up in correct possition and there for will throw everythin out untill that is corrected..i had same issue on my mk2 gti....advise was to get cammed bolts to make it easyer to regain its camber then the car was set up on a geometry machine and sorted the issues...and was also advised to get new track arms that are both adjustable as the sinle adjustalbe track end will never pull in rite on a extremem lowered car like this..hope this makes sence as been a few years since had it now lol...

• 2 weeks later...

Camber is adjusted at the two bolts where the coilover attaches to the hub. The toe has to be adjusted by the one sided adjuster and pushing the opposite roadwheel untill the correct toe is reached (I'd probably do zero/parallel) and the wheels pointing dead ahead. This will leave the steering wheel off-centre which should be removed from the column and replaced straight. It's possibile the wheel may have to be offcentre by a spline.

Adjusting camber has a big impact on toe, but not so much the reverse, incidentally :lol: