Why do i have to pay for this?

Tony

It's wrong that i should have to pay to protect the dopey pedestrian... Muppet walks out in front of my car, my bonnet detonates a crumple zone and deploys air bags..... Well that's all good and fine but who pays for the damage to my car?

Please wait a few moments for Video to Load!

and fine but who pays for the damage to my car?

Your insurance company, as per normal, then you, me and everyone else.

Ambulance, fire and police response is paid for mostly from the local inhabitants, plus hospital care is paid for by everyone in the country.

Have I left anyone out?

Oh - and one thing to think about, maybe you might be the pedestrian one day, or someone you care about.

ttfn

I do think they should maybe educate the average pedestrian

seems the onus is as usual on the motorists, do they actually teach kids "road safety" nowadays or is it "how to claim compensation"

I have watched mothers herding kids across roads when there is a crossing 20 yards away, and so many times people oblivious to the fact they are on a road

:rolleyes:

and fine but who pays for the damage to my car?

Your insurance company, as per normal, then you, me and everyone else.

Ambulance, fire and police response is paid for mostly from the local inhabitants, plus hospital care is paid for by everyone in the country.

Have I left anyone out?

Oh - and one thing to think about, maybe you might be the pedestrian one day, or someone you care about.

ttfn

So you think it's fair i should have an extended premium on my car to protect the pedestrian and in the event i hit him/ her i foot the bill for the damage to my car?

It's all well and good to invent pedestrian protection systems, i have no problem with that but i do have issues toward the additional cost to me with the initial purchase and the uninsured liability in the event the system is used.

So you think it's fair i should have an extended premium on my car to protect the pedestrian and in the event i hit him/ her i foot the bill for the damage to my car?

It's all well and good to invent pedestrian protection systems, i have no problem with that but i do have issues toward the additional cost to me with the initial purchase and the uninsured liability in the event the system is used.

What's fair got to do with it?

Manufacturers are playing to the factors that influence them; cost & profit mainly, but also legal requirements, reviews, recently how fast their new car will go around the Nurburgring! etc. etc.

When buying a car you look at many factors, cost is certainly one of them, but others are down to you. If you're favourite car is now too expensive because of the extra features then your choice is to look for another car or spend more money than you wanted to.

No-one is forcing you to buy a specific car (yet) so everyone is playing this balancing act game where supply and demand will hopefully balance out to provide safe and reliable (for the first 3 years anyway) cars that people want at a price that is competitive.

The only problem I can forsee is people that decide that they want to play 'bonnet popping' with cars - a bit like that 'craze' that was supposed to appear (because of airbags) some time ago where kids would nick a car and crash it into a wall for the rush. Funny I haven't heard anything about that recently

ttfn