Geo is a must

scorps

When i let the Lex go to a new home (within the family) he had a prob with the n/side drop link,i advised him to get this done A.S.A.P as this will affect the geo but teenagers being teenagers didn't take heed and drove round with broken DR's for approx 6 weeks b4 getting it sorted....result 2 new tyres....then a couple of days later the knocking noise returned and after inspection and some enquiries it turned out that the garage dropped the front ARB to replace the DR's which is not needed and they didn't tighten up the ARB so back to the garage it went and after discussions they agreed to fix it FOC...sorted!!....

NOT.....So now it had the problem fixed a phone call to Tony to book it in for the geo and pencilled in for the 28/1 but my nephew said the steering wheel is way off centre and i suggested we phone Tony as a matter of urgency,so a new date was set....today 21/1 i was picked up this morning to head up to Watford and could hear a fast clicking noise and i said that it wasn't right and my nephew said "yeah its annoying that noise" ph34r_anim.gif and it wasn't until we got it on the ramps that it all became clear....the inner edges of both front tyres were worn down to the wire casing eh.gif ....must be a record,wearing out both fronts in a matter of 4 weeks!!....so i asked Tony to replace both tyres, now being a Sunday and not having any with a 35 profile rang round a few local co's but alas with no result so Tony set about recovering the geo with the advise that we should "take it easy" on the way home as they are ready to blow, so off we set around the M25 and blow me (pardon the pun)....you know whats coming .....between jct's 15-16....bang!! n/side front shredded :D

Moral of this story

Geo is very important :thumbsup_anim: and Tony you are a star :D

Scorps car was one of wim's test cars during our Geometry reconstructive developments for LOC ( Lexus Owners Club ) so well researched. It was apparent that the fitting of the drop links had proved some form of error at the chassis due to the installation? Analysis proved that for whatever unimaginal reason the NSF control arm was undone, destroying the camber position... Consequently moving the toe -30mm. This destroyed both front tyres in a matter of weeks.

Since we had no tyre replacements to offer our parting words were "be careful these are ready to blow" and one did (Scary).... Well at least everyone was ready for the possibility.... There is an issue for liability and litigation here regarding the company in question but proving this is another matter.... The main issue is that everyone is well... There was one very evident indication something was wrong with this car after the repair work.... So in true wim fashion can you find the criminal?

NSF camber -56'

OSF camber -7'

NSF toe -29.7mm

OSF toe -1.2mm

Rear thrust angle 0.01

So from this (actual) data what obvious indication would be visible to the driver?

I agree that it is a must and should be done. Mine needs doing as I've not had it done again since I had coilovers fitted over a year ago. Now my steering wheel is slightly off centre which is strange considering its been off the road for the last 6 months.

NSF camber -56'

OSF camber -7'

NSF toe -29.7mm

OSF toe -1.2mm

My life!

Glad no one was hurt. I'd have stuck anything on rather than drive on the thread, i came very close to this on a ZR i owned, fortunately a bad bit of parking one day highlighted the problem i'd have otherwise not known about!

No pictures Tony?

I agree that it is a must and should be done. Mine needs doing as I've not had it done again since I had coilovers fitted over a year ago. Now my steering wheel is slightly off centre which is strange considering its been off the road for the last 6 months.

Flat tyre mate :thumbsup_anim:

NSF camber -56'

OSF camber -7'

NSF toe -29.7mm

OSF toe -1.2mm

My life!

Glad no one was hurt. I'd have stuck anything on rather than drive on the thread, i came very close to this on a ZR i owned, fortunately a bad bit of parking one day highlighted the problem i'd have otherwise not known about!

No pictures Tony?

No pictures?.... Being Sunday my head was not as methodical as usual and i forgot the camera :thumbsup_anim: I am disappointed not to capture images of new tyres to the wire in three weeks due to the condition.... Even Monster Mat would be proud of this one!

NSF camber -56'

OSF camber -7'

NSF toe -29.7mm

OSF toe -1.2mm

My life!

No pictures Tony?

I will try to get a pic b4 the week is over for you if i remember :thumbsup_anim: , Jon i think it would of been a gamble either way as we only had the one spare and believe me we drove home slowly after it was changed and i lent him 1 off the original wheels i had at home so it wasn't all bad.

Please do with the images Scorps, i think it will open a few eyes! Moral of the thread is that the situation was fabricated ( seemingly ) from a simple correction to the anti-roll bar... The results were disastrous, not only in cost but possibly life!... In recognition events no longer become humorous but surreal because it is real!

3 weeks? How many miles?!?!

The rest of the tread looks pretty mullered too, but I guess that's what you get when your wheels look like this from above / \

Only a few hundred miles.... Remember the toe was -30mm and the nsf camber was -1d 30' a full degree over stock.

Plenty of tread from the worn inner edge out.

It must be the camera lying, the first picture it looks like even the outside is nearly on the blocks to me.

Must have driven... interestingly :)

Plenty of tread from the worn inner edge out.

It must be the camera lying, the first picture it looks like even the outside is nearly on the blocks to me.

Must have driven... interestingly :)

Indeed they are... Lateral scrub increases with the amount of toe applied... Small amounts of toe will only involve small amounts of tread... -30mm involves the entire tread.... with ease.