Horror of the week 18/12/06

Tony

post-2-1166473868_thumb.jpg

This image is the nsf steering arm from a Mercedes, for those not in the know it should be straight. The owner had no idea how the arm became bent but in the conversation he mentioned a recent visit to Krap Fit to have a puncture fixed.... It seems the tech has jacked the vehicle on the arm :(

What is odd about this example is that the car was not with me for a Geometry, but for an MOT :( Obviously the car failed as did the customer noticing the 12mm of front toe-out and the off-line steering wheel.

Ohh, dont get me started on jacking cars. A lot of places just boot the jack under and hope it picks up on something solid. The amount of damage we see is amazing, espcially 944 front floors. There is a jigging point that looks like a jacking point - so it gets used by the unintiated

Is it just me that has a selection of odd shaped bits of wood to avoid damaging cars?

Ohh, dont get me started on jacking cars. A lot of places just boot the jack under and hope it picks up on something solid. The amount of damage we see is amazing, espcially 944 front floors. There is a jigging point that looks like a jacking point - so it gets used by the unintiated

Is it just me that has a selection of odd shaped bits of wood to avoid damaging cars?

It's a right pain when the kids try and put all the pieces together like a puzzle :(

• 2 weeks later...
I do have odd bits of wood but my trolly jack doesn't actually fit under the mr2 on it's own, let alone with wood on the plate :(

Lift one side of the rear on the cross member then you will have room at the front for the jack at the sill.

Even harder to get a jack to :lol:

Donnington%20021.jpg

Oh :( you seem to added some turbines since i last saw you jon! .... Diffuser looks good :( .... It would be easier to lower the World than lift your car now mate... A long one wheeled drive up ramp may be required in advance of the jack now methinks.

http://www.track-mr2.co.uk/static/gallery/donnington2

My current methods are:

front - try and lift the car up from the wheel arch and jab the trolly jack under or if that fails follow the rear method of using a small scissor jack to raise the car up enough to get a jack under. Normally if i just want the rear up i'll scissor the side then trolly under the subframe.

http://www.track-mr2.co.uk/static/gallery/donnington2

My current methods are:

front - try and lift the car up from the wheel arch and jab the trolly jack under or if that fails follow the rear method of using a small scissor jack to raise the car up enough to get a jack under. Normally if i just want the rear up i'll scissor the side then trolly under the subframe.

Nice gallery.. i see Sam's type R is in the frame, who is old red?

The red mr2 is my track nemesis, and my close friend Simon. He's entering time attack in 07 with sponsor just as i'd like to (sadly without). We currently post identical times around donnington in near identical cars but i've a feeling he'll soon have a power and grip advantage over me meaning i won't be the fastest sw20 in 07.

The red mr2 is my track nemesis, and my close friend Simon. He's entering time attack in 07 with sponsor just as i'd like to (sadly without). We currently post identical times around donnington in near identical cars but i've a feeling he'll soon have a power and grip advantage over me meaning i won't be the fastest sw20 in 07.

Really :( Don't close the book until the last page jon.... you may miss the best part?

I'll of course have the geo advantage :( But if he's wearing big fat trackday rubber over my ebay tyres and has a new turbo, forged insides and a nice eco all FOC then i'm playing catchup again.

I'll of course have the geo advantage :( But if he's wearing big fat trackday rubber over my ebay tyres and has a new turbo, forged insides and a nice eco all FOC then i'm playing catchup again.

Before i put both feet and an arm in my mouth can i remind you wim is destined to be recognized and superior in selective forms of motorsport... FOC does not nessacerally guarantee a good driver but it is in wim's interest to capture a good driver and evolve alongside.. Who knows mate! we are not even open yet and the bell is ringing.. Stay with the baby the future is looking good!

The other option is to use 07 as a dev year and enter in 08 with a car that could win, not just feature high in it's class.

Of course it'll never beat the cossie powered dax rushes!

Patience is the key word here... You know i am keen to capture your class, since without support you have displayed a wealth of abilities. 07 is evolutionary for wim so i cannot truly comment, other than saying we do encompass the best of the best now so the interior has no competition.

This forum certainly is becoming a wealth of knowledge :(

I've just ordered another chassis book that's meant to be a great read, i can't wait to get it...

http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/1...5893486-2225262

My next statement will surprise you!.... Personally i don't read these books or take examples from them? The reason is that our field cannot truly be defined, it's easy to compare snippets from other cars or even examples then overlap this as matter of fact. I treat each car as unique and math all areas within that frame... Don't get me wrong the information is valuable to the reader but not the bible when it comes to setting the car.....

Geometry I agree, once you know the theory it's learn through doing as it's so subjective.

I would however say that suspension and chassis dynamics is a somewhat different art and a good read can be quite enlightening.

Geometry I agree, once you know the theory it's learn through doing as it's so subjective.

I would however say that suspension and chassis dynamics is a somewhat different art and a good read can be quite enlightening.

From the examples Sam has opened i have to agree... Ok i am convinced, can i have seconds on the book when you are finished!