Potential new customer with 4x4 NC MX5...

DaiaBu

A mere 4,000 miles on the car :) and this "normal" noise is still there, as a "normal" noise should be. I haven't been back to the dealer or anything as they said it's normal and were unwilling to help any further, well, without me paying for insurance for one of their lot MX5's for a day, so I could test around my area on rubbish road.

I just bought a house so I was really hoping to get a couple of ramps and prod about underneath myself at some point. Quick question. Do the drop links on the rear here look okay? This is at rest, not with the car in the air. It's the same on both sides.

9pxe7o.jpg

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Yep it's correct, if you pivot the shaft both the boots would align..... What i would like you to do is unlock these bolts...

post-2-0-14040900-1396770693.jpg

The 17mm horizontal bolt connecting the upper control arms.... This has to be done loaded so on the ground. Reason i ask is i've proved the bushings are pre-loaded and when released snap back violently, so as a part of your elimination it's a next step.

Thank you Tony :-) I'll try that once we're settled in the house and can either buy or borrow some ramps ( I spied some at my parents... ;-) )

I still intend on visiting you guys one of these days, probably for a spring upgrade (maybe dampers or a full set of coilovers, depending on finance situation) and an alignment, but obviously a house is quite the financial commitment so it might not be for a good while :-(

• 1 year later...

Wow. It's been over a year already....! I thought I would follow up on this. I've had the car in the air and nothing seemed to be amiss as far as I could see. I started to blame the tyres (standard Bridgestone Potenza jobbies).

Along with the dull knocking over small bumps, I also had a very metallic clunk when reversing direction and braking which I wanted to look at. I thought maybe it was just the brake pads shifting around. I had the front calipers off over the weekend to paint them, and when putting stuff back together I noticed a metallic clink from the slide pins if I wobbled them. I did also grease the "ears" and backs of the pads. I put a blob of brake grease in there and they no longer made the forward/reverse braking noise. Touch wood....

I've only been for a couple of drives so far, but I have also noticed that the dull knocking over bumps that I was describing here has also disappeared.....! I'll keep an ear on it and see if that's really the case as it always sounded like it was coming from the rear to me, not the front, and it seems crazy that the brakes could make that kind of dull knocking noise that I was hearing.

Time flies..... Have you checked the anti roll bar rubbers for wear.... When worn they give a dull thud?

It does indeed!

I probably wasnt clear in the above post. Too early in the morning.

The dull thudding seems to have been something to do with the front brakes I think. Ill keep an ear out later but on the couple of drives so far it seems to have disappeared.

I....

1. Took off the front calipers, carriers, discs and pads.

2. Painted caliper, carrier and dust shields.

3. Greased slide pins, back of pads and pad 'ears' (seems to have removed the different very metallic clink when reversing direction and braking)

4. Reinstalled discs, carriers, pads and calipers.

Hopefully im not typing too soon, but something in the above also seems to have got rid of the muted dull thudding I was hearing aswell.....

Do you think its possible that it was the pads moving about that was causing the dull thudding / knocking noise that I was hearing? It seems crazy that it could cause such a noise to me, but I dont know much about brake noises at all.

At the moment I am fully expecting the noise to return on my next drive... I trust nothing :-) but I really hope thats all it was after all this time!

Ill update this thread again either way, incase anyone else out there has the same issue.

Hm. Weird. Something I've done seems like it may have fixed it. I didn't hear it on the drive to work this morning again, and it's been making this noise since the day I picked the car up from new, coming up 2 years ago.

If it's not the brake parts that I removed then I'm not sure what I've managed to do to sort it, as I haven't touched any suspension parts at all.

I guess it doesn't take long for the suspension to settle down again after the car has been in the air for about 8 hours (I work slow.....)? I only raised the front too.... I've yet to paint the rear brake parts....!

I'm still fully expecting that noise to return, whatever it is - I'm having a hard time believing it's just fixed itself permanently. I'll keep an ear out over the coming few weeks. I'm sure it'll return.... :-)