Potential new customer with 4x4 NC MX5...

DaiaBu

I can tell you 100% there shouldn't be any noise. You have purchased a wonderful car but there is something loose. My bet is the very rear upper trailing arm/ s, these are undone during the suspension raising for the UK.

OK fab thanks. I'll get it back to them and see if I can hint at them to check this out.

Its fine on smooth road, but on rougher road (not necessarily bumpy or pot holed etc) it makes this quiet muted banging thudding rumbling sort of noise from the rear (I think). Sort of like driving over cats eyes only quieter.

No probs with the car other than this though!

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hi Tony,

I popped down there today and demo'd it to the lad. He heard what I was on about, I think, and took it away whilst I sat down for 10-15 minutes. He returned to tell me everything underneath looks fine. He's lowered the tyre pressures (which I had already deflated from 36psi new to 29psi straight after I got it, admittedly at a Tesco air pump though) and moved the tool kit from in the right hand side panel in the boot, to strapped down at the front of the boot.

I still heard it on the way home, but I have to say maybe it didn't sound quite as bad. However, the noise is definitely still there.

They said to give it another 2 weeks for stuff to settle and if it's still happening, they'll have another look. I'm not entirely convinced by that one myself, as my last two cars had complete new suspension fitted and didn't suffer from such noises on the same bit of road. Neither did the test drive MX5, though admittedly that did have about 1,500 miles on the clock.

Who am I to argue really I guess. I'll give it another couple of weeks and hope for the best and take it back again if it's still not right. I did mention I had someone tell me it could be the rear upper trailing arms or a missing pad of some sort between the top damper mount. They pretty much weren't interested.

Maybe I should tell them if they can't fix it I'll take a trip to WIM and send them the bill, heh :-)

I'll keep you updated. Thanks for the advice. I suppose I should have really started my own thread, sorry about that!

I think it was very much a token effort look underneath, if they did at all. The guy was gone for only 10 mins ish.

The reason I bought new is to avoid stuff like this... I have the worst luck with cars, heh.

I'll return in a couple of weeks when they've had a proper look... Hopefully they find something pretty quickly...

Cheers,

Mark

It does seem that way. I think they just wanted to close up and go home.... As soon as I left, they locked up and disappeared too.

If they're no help I'll name and shame them and perhaps try the other local dealers (same group) and see if they're any more use I guess.

I'll give them the benefit of the doubt yet though. Patience of a saint... Fortunately for them....

I have to confess that's the worst type of knock to find.

Heh, yeah, and it always seems to happen to me...! :-)

I'll post back if they ever figure out what it is.

In the mean time I'll just try and drive top down as much as possible with the radio as loud as possible and enjoy :-) I think next year I may try and find time to pop down to WIM for a wheel alignment, and maybe Eibach fitting, depending on available funds at the time etc (saving for a mortgage and all that!).

• 2 weeks later...

Its booked in for a further test drive with a different chap on Thursday. The younger chap told me he heard it, but on the phone apparently he claimed all he heard was normal road noise.

I went over a sharp bump today at the entrance to a car park ... And heard the same noise I've been when the front AND rear wheels went over it! Muted sort of knocking noise. I'm not sure if it is normal or not... I find it hard to believe it is actually suspension related now as it happens with the front and rear wheels...

I just found it odd that it happened when the either end of the car went over the bump.

Well, its been there since day 1 on my car, but I don't remember hearing it on any of the 3 mx5s I drove previous to buying mine. But then there's the rose tinted glasses effect and all that.... :-)

I will report back what the guy says on Thursday.

Cheers,

Mark

• 2 weeks later...

Well they had it for a day yesterday. I got a Mazda 2 loaner. Horrid thing :-)

Apparently 4 different people test drove it and claimed no problem. The 5 is just noisy like that. He babbled on about it being a small sports car and the anti rollbars are under a lot of stress because of something something??

The guy said the technician "retorqued everything".

I'm still not sure to be honest so I said I wasn't particularly happy, to which all he could reply was "yeah". I said I'd give it some more time and maybe see if I can test drive another 5 to put my mind at ease. They're fine with that, but I would have to pay for a days insurance.

It gets better. Upon leaving their forecourt I heard something drop and a metallic kind of scrape. I didn't think much of it until I got home and pulled up my driveway... And heard something scraping. I got out and looked underneath and the oil filter access panel was hanging down touching the floor.

I was fuming now. I called them up and they didn't seem particularly interested in helping. They said there was no reason for them to have undone it, and claimed I must have hit a speed bump too quick or something. There were no speed bumps on the way home. At first they said call Mazda roadside assistance, but then advised over the phone that I should just be able to push it back up myself, which I did... Though I shouldn't have had to really.

This kind of stuff always happens to me :-) the dealer is Wright's of Beccles.

I'll perhaps try and find another 5 local to me on friendly forums and see if anyone can help, maybe even just to take me for a quick drive over similar roads so I can see if its normal for myself.

I did notice the other day that my bonnet seems a bit loose. I can jiggle it about with the palms of my hands. I'm not sure its anything to do with it or not though, as this noise sounds like from the rear not front. Is it easy to adjust?

Cheers

Mark