coilover spring compression & shock damping

rooflessdriver

For a non techie like me, is there any correlation between the compression of a coilover spring, due to changes in ride height, and the damping setting on an adjustable shock.

I.e. if you raise or lower the ride height by adjusting the spring on its perch, should the damping be adjusted accordingly?

So not to over complicate things let's stick with the GAZ coilovers....

The damper shaft has a bump and droop range which is the optimum working range, if you decided for example to raise the body to an extent the damper shaft has no droop you would then start to pre-load the coils by closing the gap between the helix's. If you went to low on droop the coils would become loose and chatter. Helper coils can remove the chatter.....

Historically when setting the coilovers the "chatter" is taken out while the damper is on full droop, the reason for this is if you pre-load the coils you also change the rate but this change cannot be measured. Seat of your pants driving and blind bump/ rebound damper adjustment would work but it's very time consuming.

In summary, outside of competition zero pre-load is the norm.

ok, that makes sense.

I think I need to book a return visit when i get back from hols.

After the Gaz Gold Pro's were fitted, everything was great for few weeks. (See my extensive thread :lol: )

I then started scraping more and more going over speed cushions until the point that I have marks on the cat, one of the chassis braces and the exhaust back box.

I measured the rear suspension, wheel centre to wheel arch, and it had dropped from 325mm to 300mm.

Having re-adjusted it to 325mm I am now getting a clonk as the rear wheels reach the speed cushion.

Looking at the blue collar perches, they look like they are almost to the top of the thread, and the measurement from the bottom collar to the blue edge at the bottom of the thread is around 110mm.

I'm wondering if the helix are crunching together.

My initial reaction was to consider adjusting the shock setting from its original setting of 7, but not sure which way it should go. Hence the question.

• 3 weeks later...

Back from hols and the car is getting lower!

The clonking noise continued, so I wondered if it was due to the adjustments I had made to try and get back to 325mm wheel centre to arch, so as an experiment, I reset the height to 85mm, as Joe had done, (photo below)

measuring_front.JPG

I had to laugh, as the wheels were tucked up in the wheel arches!

P1000969.jpg

Whilst making the adjustments, I did notice that the outer surfaces of the springs were dusty, but the tops were clean,

so it looks almost like the helix are touching under compression ?

Will call WIM's tomorrow to see if I can get the car booked in and checked.

• 4 weeks later...

Took the car in to WIM and Joe took the car out for a drive and had a look on the ramps.

Initial reactions are the rear springs are too short and the suspension is topping out.

Waiting on a call from Derek at GAZ as he wants to have a look at the rear suspension first.

I know Tony. Its especially annoying after how well the car felt just after Joe did his magic on it.

For a week or so the car was just a joy to throw round the country lanes on the way to and from work.

I'm sure once Derek gets in touch to go in and get it checked out, it will be ok.

Otherwise I will sell it all and revert back to stock! lol :lol:

I saw him this week and he told me your car and him will be at the centre anytime soon. He said he would contact you, this was Thursday but in truth he was on the way to the races at the time.......

I saw him this week and he told me your car and him will be at the centre anytime soon. He said he would contact you, this was Thursday but in truth he was on the way to the races at the time.......

i'm guessing derek did well at the races and is off on a round the world cruise as no word from him.

Its getting worse now, especially with a passenger onboard.

My girlfriend, who knows nothing about cars, kept saying 'oops' every time they banged but with it happening around 30 times on the way to work, the amusement factor wore thin rapidly.

I think Derek is hanging back because of me..... Last time we met he said he will invite you to wim and deal with the complaint as a product solution curve, but since then i have been off, then in and then off.... at the moment GAZ cannot offer a solution until i get my work boots on again.

I think Derek is hanging back because of me..... Last time we met he said he will invite you to wim and deal with the complaint as a product solution curve, but since then i have been off, then in and then off.... at the moment GAZ cannot offer a solution until i get my work boots on again.

completely understand tony.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...