Remoulds

Tony

For environmental reasons it is politically correct to remould tyres, this reduces the materials necessary to produce the casing saving energy, production and environmental pollution... All reads good so far, but!

There are technical problems that still have not been resolved namely the preparation and the bonding process.

1:Preparation This involves buffing the remaining tread off the casting, X ray the constructive tyre frame and ensuring all the wire radial strands are intact. At this point if the casing is deemed suitable then any punctures are repaired :D

2: Bonding A remoulded tyre goes through the same tread bonding process as a newly constructed tyre, other than the wire belts have additional chemical treatment to belay rust.

So whats the problem..........This.....

Resulting in this

post-2-1163935295_thumb.jpg

Since all tyres are dated i was able to conclude this unit was less than a year old.... Obvious signs are that the tread simply detached it's self from the casing, smashed all the undercarriage then went off on it's merry way... probably slapping the windscreen of an unsuspecting motorist behind.

wim says: This sort of image will not promote an environmentally friendly attitude from the public. I find it hard to believe that in the 21st century this sort of error can still happen... time and time again. For me it's a new tyre please.

but surely the origin of the remould has a part to play in this, also...and we always blame the tyre first, when actually as you will even know......

most people dont even inspect there tyres, some are run on low pressure, are run up and down kurbs, over inflated., just generally abused, its only when incidents like the one above happens do people thewn look at the tyre.......and blame it!

but surely the origin of the remould has a part to play in this, also...and we always blame the tyre first, when actually as you will even know......

most people dont even inspect there tyres, some are run on low pressure, are run up and down kurbs, over inflated., just generally abused, its only when incidents like the one above happens do people thewn look at the tyre.......and blame it!

I understand your reasoning but it is easy to determine to cause... If the blow out if due to impact then the sidewall would be compromised, under inflation would display evidence on the sidewall... i have to agree with you on the over inflation or possibly over loading since this would not be invisible by inspection.

Quite evident with this example is a failure in the bonding... scary stuff in reality since it's possible to assume people that cannot afford new low profile tyres may opt for the cheaper solution..

Out of interest, and i am sure you are aware Mat, did you know that most aircraft use remoulds?

We had to cut our own on a firm i used to work for....can you imagine trusting me with a heat gun :D ..i used to f**k em up on purpose. :D :D

I can imagine you with a flame thrower rather then a heat gun :D anyhoo what were you farming?

Out of interest, and i am sure you are aware Mat, did you know that most aircraft use remoulds?

yep, was aware...

most Military truck tyres are all remoulds aswell, unless there is any damage within 4" of the sidewall

can i ask what vehicle this tyre is fitted on......

looking at the tyre, it looks to be even at the very low end of remoulds!!, almost looks like the old crossply tyres, and looks a very hard compound

yep, was aware...

most Military truck tyres are all remoulds aswell, unless there is any damage within 4" of the sidewall

can i ask what vehicle this tyre is fitted on......

looking at the tyre, it looks to be even at the very low end of remoulds!!, almost looks like the old crossply tyres, and looks a very hard compound

The vehicle was a twin wheeled rear axial LDV running 185/80-14 tyres, these were on a Dunlop casing body with a Michelin X tread pattern, moulded by Motorway remoulds, the tyre date is 05...

I am curious Mat.. Does the military aircraft also use wire bonded remoulds like domestic aircraft.. These are remoulds that have external wire (ropes) bound in the groves of the tread pattern?

im never getting on a bus again!!

i was stopped at traffik lights a few days ago and was casualy looking at the scenery when i noticed the tyre was a remould.. imagine a bus full of people doing 40 mph down the duel carridgeway towards the magic roundabout when the front tyre desides its had enough and rips itself to shreds.. how many people could that hurt??

wouldnt know about aircraft Tony, i was refering to the Trucks, and Plant

Apparently the wire restrains the mould during the rapid acceleration on landing, maybe this should be introduced to our car market? I can see good reason for remoulds in the military land and air.