Odd sound

Just over a week ago my car developed an odd sound, it's sort of like a whiney rumble coming from the front end, 60mph is when it's most noticeable, and is at its loudest when going round a left hand bend at 60.

Any ideas what it could be? Suggestions of tyres or bearings were made at the Ace Meet, but as my bearings were only replaced recently does that mean it's the tyres?

"Heel and Toe" wear makes a noise like a bearing, run your hand around the inner tread and see if it feels like a 50p

Tyre looks and feels fine to my untrained eyes/hands..........

Another thing I've noticed is that under reasonably hard braking the car is pulling to the left a bit - could that be related?

In view of the noise and pull i would pay attention to the front tie-rod bushings.

Do you think if I bring the car along you'll be able to come out in the car to hear the noise and feel the pull? Or will it not be necessary to actually road test? Either way I think another trip to WIM is on the cards :)

Did a little investigating today based on a similar thread on LOC and interested to know what's normal and what's not.

Jacked the car up at the front and gave both wheels a bit of a spin. If I gently turned each wheel, I was getting a squeak sound, and as I spun them faster there was a clear scraping sound. Is that just the sound of the pad against the disc and is it normal for them to be in contact?

Second thing, I grabbed the wheels and tried to shake them to see if there was any play - with the passenger side wheel there was definite movement from top to bottom, what problem does that potentially point to?

• 3 weeks later...

My car's in at Lexus having some other work done so asked them to take a look at this too and apparently my left front bearing has collapsed! :(

They aren't particularly happy about me taking the car as is so I can't bring it back to WIM - how could this have happened after replacing them only a few months ago?

Looks like another pricey bill, just over £300 to replace :(

its your car and can do what you want with it......but agreed, it wouldnt be a great idea driving like that. depending on a mountain of variables the two that come to mind are, overtightening (i dont know the bearing details so this may not be possible) or inferior manufacturing

its your car and can do what you want with it......but agreed, it wouldnt be a great idea driving like that. depending on a mountain of variables the two that come to mind are, overtightening (i dont know the bearing details so this may not be possible) or inferior manufacturing

Yep they did say I can take it away but recommended if I did to take it straight to where I want to have it repaired and not use it for a few days and then sort it - and given the distance to WIM they definitely weren't happy (obviously it's my car and my responsibility but assume there must be some duty of care issues if the car isn't necessarily fully roadworthy)

To be fair I've been driving around on it for a while now assuming it wasn't too serious but now that I know what it is I'd rather just get them to sort it. As it was a genuine Lexus part they've said it should be covered under warranty but as it was fitted at WIM they can't cover the labour so there'll still be a substantial bill to pay :(