Tyre Pressure Monitoring Systems

BB Tyre Reviews

Tyre Pressure Monitoring Systems (TPMS)

From 2012 European legislation dictates that all new cars will be fitted with tyre pressure monitoring systems (TPMS).

With many modern vehicles already being fitted with them and the pressure watching technology due to become mandatory Tyres & Accessories has researched and compiled the latest information on the subject in order to answer the question:

How will TPMS change the tyre retail business?

To start off with, there certainly appears to be a need for it. The 2008 Annual Tyre Pressure Review undertaken by Kwik-Fit found just over 46 per cent of cars tested had at least one tyre underinflated. Scaled up to represent the current level of UK registrations, this means that a staggering 12.46 million cars could be running on the roads like this, using £1.5 billion pounds of extra fuel and creating literally thousands of extra tons of carbon emissions. That 30 per cent extra tyre wear also means that an unnecessary 108,000 tyres each year have to be manufactured and disposed of too.

post-2-1283510355.jpg

In addition research conducted by the Department of Transport, claimed that last year, over 2,600 serious injuries or fatalities were the direct result of tyre failure of under-inflation. Under-inflation reduces the driver’s ability to control the vehicle, with steering and braking inputs dramatically diminished by the tyre’s tendency to deform without the correct pressure to support it. According to Schrader Electronics’ Alfonso Di Pasquale, “It has been proven that up to 3 per cent of road accidents could be avoided if tyres were inflated to the correct levels…â€

For those operating in either the retail or supply ends of the market the issue is that, last minute changes in the law notwithstanding, the new law could mean that (from 2012 on) when a car leaves the factory with TPMS equipment fitted, should it become inoperable, it may leave the driver effectively uninsured or facing an MOT failure when the time comes. The current thinking is that retailers may need to ensure that their aftermarket wheel and tyre set-up incorporates OEM spec sensors – and that these communicate effectively and accurately with the factory display equipment – or else run the associated insurance and MOT risks.

More nannying? Every independent report that I have read says that, for me, these things will be more trouble than they are worth.

They are often innacurate and in my experience of people who have them, tend to lead to failure to check pressures regularly. I have been told by several people who have them that they do not check pressures any more because their system has an alarm to indicate low pressure. When I pursued it with them I discovered that the alarm setting was 20% to 25% below the advised inflation pressure.

I corresponded with an individual who broke a valve stem trying to remove the valve cap with pliers. The valve cap had corroded onto the stem, not having been removed for over a year because his TPMS said all was OK.

Lord save us from those who do not do regular tyre checks and who bring this kind of interference upon us.

I totally agree....

The warning threshold is to vast, i feel this is because the warning is intended for a flat tyre rather than a tyre that needs maintenance. Owners are either misinformed or ignorant to what the system promises.

I totally agree....

The warning threshold is to vast, i feel this is because the warning is intended for a flat tyre rather than a tyre that needs maintenance. Owners are either misinformed or ignorant to what the system promises.

+1

The indirect system is really a very poor system when we think about it. Many users won't have any idea. I also fear that there will be even less checking of pressures than at present.

HighlandPete

Which kind of system are we talking about here? I do think the ones that only tell you if you have a flat aren't particularly useful but the ones that give you an actual real time pressure readout would be nice to have?

"Live pressure" is the real key, and i think it should work a traffic light system alerting the driver. The current OEM systems warn of a flat tyre, not a soft tyre.

"Live pressure" is the real key, and i think it should work a traffic light system alerting the driver. The current OEM systems warn of a flat tyre, not a soft tyre.

Speaking of which did you ever get a test sample of that system you mentioned a while back? Might be interested in fitting something like that at my next tyre change so wondered whether there was any feedback.

Speaking of which did you ever get a test sample of that system you mentioned a while back? Might be interested in fitting something like that at my next tyre change so wondered whether there was any feedback.

No, reason being RFT's will be mandatory in 2014/5 so the system will be a descending market.