faulty tyres return

muddym2002

Hi All

I recently purchased a pair of Vredesstein Sessantas for my Honda Accord. As soon as I drive over 60mph the handling is terrible and very dangerous. Took it back to the garage i purchased them and they said it sounds like a wheel balancing issue. They balanced them again and said it should be fine. But the problem did not go away. Just been back there and they tried balancing them AGAIN and they have come to the conclusion that the tyres are faulty and will need sending back to the manufacturer.

However they will not refund me. They have stated that they will send back the tyres and manufacturer will test them to see if they are faulty. If they are faulty i will get a full refund. But if they are not faulty i will not receive a penny. I am not happy with this as i feel the garage should refund me as they sold me the faulty product. Any advice on what i should do?

Regards

Hi All

I recently purchased a pair of Vredesstein Sessantas for my Honda Accord. As soon as I drive over 60mph the handling is terrible and very dangerous. Took it back to the garage i purchased them and they said it sounds like a wheel balancing issue. They balanced them again and said it should be fine. But the problem did not go away. Just been back there and they tried balancing them AGAIN and they have come to the conclusion that the tyres are faulty and will need sending back to the manufacturer.

However they will not refund me. They have stated that they will send back the tyres and manufacturer will test them to see if they are faulty. If they are faulty i will get a full refund. But if they are not faulty i will not receive a penny. I am not happy with this as i feel the garage should refund me as they sold me the faulty product. Any advice on what i should do?

Regards

Hello there

This is compleatly standard procedure that ALL garages follow.

my father had a michelin tyre that seemed to grow a HUGE ridge down the centre of the tread, all away around the tyre (like a hill) it was obvious the tyre was faulty and it had done less than 3000 miles. garage sent it back to manufacturer where they then stated it was faulty and refunded my dad.

I would also like to say.. have you tried your tracking ?

I myself have a 54 plate Honda Accord 2.2 Diesel.. and i am currently running these tyres and i can safely say the car feels solid all the way to 130+ (goodwood track day by the way!) also the grip and confidence the tyres give is truley amazing for their price.

have you tried getting the tracking / geo done ? i have a feeling its not the tyres... its the cars Geo thats causing these problems.

Awaits tony to chime in and blow me out the water :P

What did they say the fault was? A vibration at 60mph is almost definitely balance and Adam_r is correct, both you and the shop do not have the right to assume the tyres are faulty. Unlike things like the tv, tyres are subject to abuse and road trauma so only the manufacturer has the right and ability to examine the tyres correctly. In truth if the are faulty the manufacturer welcomes them back so they if needed can recall the entire batch.

What did they say the fault was? A vibration at 60mph is almost definitely balance and Adam_r is correct, both you and the shop do not have the right to assume the tyres are faulty. Unlike things like the tv, tyres are subject to abuse and road trauma so only the manufacturer has the right and ability to examine the tyres correctly. In truth if the are faulty the manufacturer welcomes them back so they if needed can recall the entire batch.

Ive only had the tyres for 1 week. As soon as i purchased them i noticed the problem. ive been back twice since and both times the wheel balancing did not work. They decided the tyre was faulty because they balanced it,took it off the machine and put it back on which then showed it wasnt balanced!! So they are assuming the tyre is faulty for that reason. I would like them to refund me as they are the ones that sold me the tyre therefore a contract was formed. The tracking on the vehicle is fine. I think the tyres are faulty as did not have this problem with my previous ones.

They are wrong... Re-mounting the wheel does not generate a fault in the tyre. The reason the re-mount shows different values is because the wheels centre is not in the centre? They use the centre hole to mount the wheel on the balancer, the centre hole is "cosmetically central" so the wheel should be mounted using the stud holes.... This is what we use

post-2-1280177169.jpg

They are wrong... Re-mounting the wheel does not generate a fault in the tyre. The reason the re-mount shows different values is because the wheels centre is not in the centre? They use the centre hole to mount the wheel on the balancer, the centre hole is "cosmetically central" so the wheel should be mounted using the stud holes.... This is what we use

post-2-1280177169.jpg

They used a Hunter machine to do the balancing. Looked very similer to the pic you have posted. Do you know of any reliable places in Nottingham i could take my car to get balanced?

Many thanks

Latest Hunter balance machine uses a rolling road to simulate... the road, i looked into this and thought is was flawed. An place that can balance French cars solid centre wheels can deal with your problem. And yes the french recognized this issue years ago and made wheels without centre holes.

Latest Hunter balance machine uses a rolling road to simulate... the road, i looked into this and thought is was flawed. An place that can balance French cars solid centre wheels can deal with your problem. And yes the french recognized this issue years ago and made wheels without centre holes.

Thank you for your advice.

What is this machine called that can balance french cars as i will call around tomorrow to find a place to re-balnce my tyres.

If the problem does persist would you say the tyre is faulty and do you feel that the garage should refund me as they have sold me a faulty product which is clearly dangerous?

Many Thanks Tony

All balance machines can do this providing they have the french adapter plate, you need to ask if they can balance solid centre wheels. As for the refund, no. Only the manufacturer has the ability to examine the tyres correctly, if you dispute their findings it can then go to arbitration.

All balance machines can do this providing they have the french adapter plate, you need to ask if they can balance solid centre wheels. As for the refund, no. Only the manufacturer has the ability to examine the tyres correctly, if you dispute their findings it can then go to arbitration.

Cheers Tony