puma problem

m8tte

Problem on a ford puma - rapid wear ie 1000 miles

inside edges of both front tyres wearing

Would adjusting the tracking futher toe in aleviate this or ?...................

Help! lol

ps on standard suspension - but have powerflex bushes to replace the common wearing out standard rubber ones about 1 year ago

same happens when i swop to and from the 17 inch wheels i also have

(ps hi tony - yes it is me with the problem puma from a while back!)

quote tony

Hello.... If i recall we had an issue with vibration and your car... am i correct?

To the problem.... If as you say you are on standard suspension, then the reason for the wear will be wheel off-set or incorrect toe... Feed me more information to how and when during the cars evolution this wear happened.... In other words what happened between everything being ok and now

answer

wheels and tyres were balanced on a hunter machine and sorted out - all ok

tracking set to toe out 1 all angles correct print out got

about 6 months ago

since inside edge wearing now set to toe in 1.5 about 2 months ago but still wearing inside edge not as much in a wider area now

should this be set further to toe in - how much - 3??? 4??

info

These settings are for ALL models of Puma with the exception of the Ford Racing Puma additional information under a seperate link.

Castor

Angle = 2.5 degrees Tolerance = 3.75 to 1.25 degrees

Camber

Angle = 0.9 degrees Tolerance = 0.2 to -2.00 degrees

Maximum Variation - left to right-hand side - Castor 1.0 degree, Camber 1.25 degrees

Toe Setting

Setting Adjustment = -2.0mm Toe out to +/- 1.0mm Tolerance = 0.5mm Toe in to -4.5 Toe out

The 'official' Ford Line is as follows - Units are in Decimal Degrees (*): Front Wheel Alignment Caster : 1.25* to 3.75* Camber : -2.00* to 0.20* Toe: -0.76* Toe Out to 0.08* Toe In or -4.5mm Toe Out to 0.5mm Toe In

Rear Wheel Alignment Camber : -2.00* to -0.50* (unless your Rear Beam is 98FB 5K952 DD, then it's: -2.80* to -1.30*) Toe: 0.13* Toe In to 0.79* Toe In or 1mm Toe In to 5mm Toe In

Use at own risk

lol massive variation!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

would worn shocks causeover 65,000 miles now - think bush at top of strut maybe culprit?

wear more on near side tyre

:rolleyes:

geom as last measured

front

LH RH

total toe -00.28

half- toe -00.14 -00.14

max dif

camber -01.25 -0.92

max dif -00.33

caster +01.85 +01.75

max dif +00.09

king-pin angle +14.42 +13.75

max dif

included angle +13.17 +12.83

steeering angle diff at 20

max int steering angle

max ext steering angle

symmetry error +00.18

rear

totaltoe +00.34

half-toe +00.07 +00.27

max diff

camber -01.16 -01.08

max dif -00.08

symmetry error +00.29

thrust angle -00.10

track difference -00.45

:huh:

The tolerances are confusing, there is a static position, a dynamic range, and a setting range. Your only concern should be the actual static position and the setting range.. You

Have, front Camber -1d 25' and -92' you should have -20', from the static -1d25 and -92' add the Dynamics then the tyres will indeed wear on the insides.

• 3 weeks later...

Eventually i was not not working yesterday allowing enough time to get to get to a 'proper tracking place'

(i know what everyone will say me included but.................. i but did try the local fast fit place last week to check if anything major out ....... they said was set to parallel - free check lol!!! )

So .....yesterday i went to eden tyres in derby to have tracking checked and.............toe was 2.8 mm!!!! reset to -1.5 and car drives fine!

full print out all angles within tollerance

so sorted ! :rolleyes:

Eventually i was not not working yesterday allowing enough time to get to get to a 'proper tracking place'

(i know what everyone will say me included but.................. i but did try the local fast fit place last week to check if anything major out ....... they said was set to parallel - free check lol!!! )

So .....yesterday i went to eden tyres in derby to have tracking checked and.............toe was 2.8 mm!!!! reset to -1.5 and car drives fine!

full print out all angles within tollerance

so sorted ! :rolleyes:

Happy ending..... you have the opportunity to have the print-out validated here, can you post an image?

• 3 weeks later...

update....... still wearing inside edge - still more so on passengers side front tyre than drivers side ..... now about 4cm wearon inside edge... rather than the 1 cm before ....... -if i 'wang' the tracking toe in shed loads - ie 4mm toe in ....is it going to be really (more horrible) to drive than current -darts about a bit on road surface - but no where near the previous amount

what will a front wheel drive with too much 'toe in' feel like - with too much toe out it 'scooted' all over the road !

will swop front tyres on the back tomorrow after work - nightmare working 6 day week can never get anything sorted out!

ps still not been able to get print out scanned mad.gif

:blink: