how to make a 3d picture

phipck

with Tony's thread about 3d and my typical geek out rambling on about how it all works, i thought i would contribute by demonstrating how you can make your own 3d images :-)

if you only have one camera first you need to have a steady hand, and secondly you need to have a still subject.

then you need to turn off auto focus and ensure your lighting is stable (if your outside make sure there wont be any sudden clouds etc)

with this all established, manually focus to the place you want in focus and aim the camera at a pin point on the subject, you need to remember this pin point as this is the most important part of the process. This pinpoint could be a tree in the distance, a button on a persons shirt or anything that you can repeatedly aim at successfuly.

what you want to do is take 2 photos, take your first photo then move the camera to the left about 3 inches ensuring you arnt raising the camera up or down and aim at your pinpoint again and take your second photo.

when you have these images you need to place them side by side. the first image needs to be placed on the left and the second image on the right (as long as you followed my instructions and moved the camera to the left)

the result of doing this in my dimly lit room are ok but for the best results try and do this during the day, you can use any camera, its all down to a steady hand, aiming correctly and ensuring you take the two pics from the same height.

33do.jpg

53df.jpg

you could, but the problem with a tripod is that you will need to move the tripod 3 inches to the left, which is a little climsy and the floor would need to be the same height as the first picture. if you tilt the camera you dont get the desired 3d effect.

i am designing a slid bracket that would alow you to mount the camera on the tripod, then simply unclip, slide the camera 3 inches to the left on the bracket then lock it down again to take the second photo (no need to move the tripod then.)

if you have 2 cameras the process can be even better.....but thats a little different technique!

you can do it with any camera, my first attempts were with my iphone, simply putting the phone to my right eye and taking a photo, then putting the phone to my left and taking a second having aimed at the pint on the table....worked quite well so i refined the process a little for using my dslr

A slight oversite on my part, when refering to the other topic in my first post I didn't mention how to view them (which is explained in the other thread) you simply sit about 2 foot from your screen and gently cross your eyes untill your double vision merges the images together creating a 3d combined image.

the referenced thread

http://www.wheels-inmotion.co.uk/forum/ind...?showtopic=5746