A wheely good clean

Rich

I decided to spend yesterday afternoon cleaning and sealing my wheels so I could try out my new Autosmart (AS) products I got a while ago. I also cleaned the arch liners while the wheels were off.

Products used to clean the wheels was AS Smart Wheels, which is an acid free based cleaner. Now my wheels have been sealed from new so probably not the best test subject as they clean very easily but I wanted to try it. First thing I noticed was if you spray too much it really gets to the back of your throat! I sprayed the cleaner on and agitated it with a number of brushes and left for a couple of minutes. I couldn't leave it too long as it was very hot so dried quickly. Rinsed it off and most of the dirt had gone bar a few bits right in the corner.

Tyres were cleaned with AS G101, I sprayed this on and scrubbed with a cheap washing up brush, you could clearly see the brown dirt running down the tyres. There were a few tar spots on the back of the wheels so I used AS Tardis for this, sprayed on and left a few minutes while it dissolved them. Then I used a cheap MF applicator I didn't need as it would have to be binned afterwards and wiped the spots away then rinsed.

Wheels were then dried and sealed with Chemical Guys wheel sealant, I love this stuff :huh: Applied a thin coat, which I left for 10 minutes and then buffed off leaving them feeling very slick.

Before

wheel_before_01.JPG

wheel_before_02.JPG

wheel_before_03.JPG

wheel_before_04.JPG

Cleaned and sealed

wheel_sealed_01.JPG

wheel_sealed_02.JPG

The arch liners were pretty dirty with some big lumps of tar, which had built up. I cleaned these with Autoglym engine and machine cleaner. I could've used the G101 but I only have a sample at the moment and I would've needed alot of it. I sprayed the cleaner on and scrubbed with a cheap bog brush then rinsed. Sprayed the whole area with AS Tardis and left for a few minutes. I noticed the tar was melting but not as quickly as it did on the alloys. It may be cos these were quite big lumps so needed abit of help. I then rinsed the arch and left it to dry naturally.

To get the plastic liners looking black I dressed them with AS trim ultra using a cheap MF applicator. Put a few drops onto it and this did nearly one half of the liner so you don't need much of this stuff. I think it looks alot better now, the only thing letting it down is the rusty strut so will give that a lick of hammerite next time.

Before

arch_before_01.JPG

Cleaned

arch_cleaned_01.JPG

50/50 with trim ultra

arch_5050_01.JPG

After

arch_after_01.JPG

Once the wheels were back on I dressed all of the tyres with AS smart shine. I think this is what it's called but my rep said it's only just come out and I can't see it listed on the website. I sprayed this on but as I have low profile tyres I found some got onto the rims so angled the bottle away to spray it on. I then used a piece of sponge to spread it around eveningly. The only other tyre dressing I've used is the Megs one and I found the AS one alot easier to use and less messy as well.

Tyres dressed

wheel_after_01.JPG

wheel_after_02.JPG

wheel_after_03.JPG

wheel_after_04.JPG

So far I'm very impressed with the AS products I've used and considering how much you get for the money I will be sticking with it.