Trailing Arm IRS v Beamz

CIH

I read trailing arm set-ups don't enjoy dynamic camber gains but do see dynamic wheelbase changes. If so are there any real-world benefits over the cheaper and sometimes lighter torsion beam arrangement ?

If anybody is wandering, Trailing-arms were used by Peugeot (before they gave up and started making tat) on halcyon FWD models like the 205GTi, where the lack of rear camber gains reduced FWD understeer tendencey by effectivly reducing ultimate rear grip levels.

Citroen used them as well (they are the same company after all) and the wheelbase change you mentioned is the reason Citroens with hydraulic suspension have the handbrakes fitted to the front wheels. When they are left parked for long periods the suspension drops all the way down to the bumpstops, the front mac struts just go straight down but the rear trailing arms travel through an arc so if the rear wheels were braked the body (and front wheels) would move to compensate for the wheelbase change.

I only mention this as it helped me visualise the theoretical wheelbase change with my stiffly sprung* 205 GTI when I moved the suspension of one of my Citroens through its full travel.

*not coil springs, torsion bars, big fat 23mm ones ;)